Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Picture Quilt >

Picture Quilt

Picture Quilt

Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 AM

I'm getting ready to make a photo quilt. What brand of printer fabrics have you used and which ones will take multiple washings and not wash out the photos? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:54 AM

I made one with t-shirt transfers...not great for many washings. Would lov to see what kind is suggested.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:05 AM

I've never thought of washing any photo transfer of the few I did. Just make sure to read the directions before using because they are all different...which of course I didn't realize until I was into a couple already.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 AM

There is some info on the board about using regular fabric and putting it through an inkjet printer. There are some u tube videos that show how to do it. I have used photo transfer paper that you iron the design onto the fabric (does not hold up well to use or washings) and the photo fabric (design disintegrated when it got wet). there is also a company that makes fabric by the yard where you can send them photos of what you want on the fabric.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 AM

I use the iron on transfer method of applying my photos to fabric. Make sure you get the PHOTO transfer paper - NOT the t-shirt transfer paper. There is a difference. Also make sure paper is COLD before removing - this keeps the images sharp. I have washed mine, but tell people to NOT wash too often, because the photos will fade. I have tried the printing onto fabric, they all washed out - had to do over with iron on transfer. have not tried the printing on the treated fabric because it is expensive and I put around 100 pictures on my quilts.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:30 PM

I used the June Tailor pre-treated sheets. Heat-set the ink as per instructions, and washed with no bleeding. The quilt will be washed occasionally but not frequently; no issues yet. The sheets are about $10 for a pack of 7, so yes, expensive if you are using a lot of them.
Do a search on here, there are a few topics describing different options in detail.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Thanks ladies. I knw the products are improving all the time. My sister and I made one for a friend with photos of her dogs and they all washed out, so would really like a sure bet before doing it again!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

different types have different specifications- some will take an occassional washing- some have to be dry cleaned- some will not take water at all- it is important to read the package and make sure you get what you need. the transfer ones that you print then iron on are like the (decals) ironed onto tee-shirts- so after awhile they tend to fade and crack- there are a couple fabric sheets that can be washed- or you can prepare your own fabric for dyeing- use a good quality permenent ink in your printer, press the fabric to freezer paper cut to the size of printer paper- and run it through- set aside to cure for 24 hours so the ink has time to really adhere to the fibers- then heat set....there is bubble jet set to treat your fabric with- use retayne afterwards- just follow the instructions....the ink is a big thing too- the inexpensive (refilled cartridges) wash right out- you can purchase good print cartridges with permenent ink---they are more expensive but worth it in the long run