Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced Backing >

Pieced Backing

Pieced Backing

Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 AM

Default Pieced Backing

I'm getting ready to piece a backing for the first time. I usually use backing fabric, but this time I'm going to use standard 44" fabric. How do I do it? lol My quilt is 48" x 48". Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM

I would take two pieces approx. 54" in length, sew together and then trim off each side so you have a 54" square. This way you have a seam running down the center of the back rather than a seam near one edge. Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
I would take two pieces approx. 54" in length, sew together and then trim off each side so you have a 54" square. This way you have a seam running down the center of the back rather than a seam near one edge. Hope this helps.
54" in length, as in 1 1/2 yards? Unfolded it would be 54" x 44"? I'm trying to picture it.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Are you quilting or sending to quilter? For 'most' LAQ's you will want it approx 8 inches larger, both directions. So for your 48 inch square quilt you will need it to be approx 56 inches back. That means you will only need approx 12 inches more. If it was me, I would go for the 56 length first, which is 1.5 yards. Now if you want the back to be all the same fabric, then you would need a total of 3 yards. Next options ~ do you have left overs from piecing the front? You could piece something to make up the 12+ inches. I have split the my 44" down the middle and put other fabric in the middle, so I have 3 sections in the back. Also I usually take a 1/2" seams for my back piecing.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn View Post
Are you quilting or sending to quilter? For 'most' LAQ's you will want it approx 8 inches larger, both directions. So for your 48 inch square quilt you will need it to be approx 56 inches back. That means you will only need approx 12 inches more. If it was me, I would go for the 56 length first, which is 1.5 yards. Now if you want the back to be all the same fabric, then you would need a total of 3 yards. Next options ~ do you have left overs from piecing the front? You could piece something to make up the 12+ inches. I have split the my 44" down the middle and put other fabric in the middle, so I have 3 sections in the back. Also I usually take a 1/2" seams for my back piecing.
I'm going to quilt it myself. I'm flexible. I don't care if it's all one fabric. I don't have much left of the fabric I pieced the top with, but I do have some.

I think I understand....cut 56" x 44", cut the 44" into (2) 22" sections, then piece an additional 12" between the 22" sections. Is that right?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

If you want to use as little fabric as possible, look at John Flynn's diagonal pieced back. Scroll down the page to find it. http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/ The down side is that there is that long seam on the bias.

Usually quilt books recommend not putting the seam in the middle of the back. I personally don't think it matters.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn View Post
Grammy Dwynn has it right. Also, if your quilt is going to a LAQ, most of us prefer the seams to run across the quilt rather than from top to bottom. If the seams on the backing (especially the long ones) run from top to bottom, I will load the quilt on it's side so the seams don't build up on my rollers - that creates tight strips with hammocks of material inbetween, which is great for tucks in the fabric, but not good for quilting. This turning of the quilt is not a big deal for hand-guided LA quilting, but it could pose a problem for someone who uses computerized quilting and the pattern chosen is directional (I haven't done enough quilting with a computer to know how to fix that, but I'm sure it can be done!)

Personally, I love pieced backs that are as interesting as the top.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Since you are going to piece the back anyway, you might want to consider this another design option:
Do a pieced backing using leftover/planned over blocks or just to have some contrast on the back. You could have the central area of the back such that you print your own saying or quilt info in an artistic manner.

ali
Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If you want to use as little fabric as possible, look at John Flynn's diagonal pieced back. Scroll down the page to find it. http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/ The down side is that there is that long seam on the bias.

Usually quilt books recommend not putting the seam in the middle of the back. I personally don't think it matters.
I agree, John Flynn's method works great. I believe the reason quilt books recommend not putting the seam in the middle of the back applies to LMQ. Correct me if I'm wrong. Be sure to show us pictures when you're finished with it.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Since you are going to piece the back anyway, you might want to consider this another design option:
Do a pieced backing using leftover/planned over blocks or just to have some contrast on the back. You could have the central area of the back such that you print your own saying or quilt info in an artistic manner.

ali
This is a paper pieced quilt, so I don't have any leftovers. I don't have it in me to make anymore. lol I used regular copy paper for this one and had a TOUGH time getting it all off. Thanks for the idea though.