Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pieced backs - Lyndi >

pieced backs - Lyndi

pieced backs - Lyndi

Old 03-24-2015, 08:18 AM

Default pieced backs - Lyndi

I really like some of the pieced backs. When I sandwich my quilts I clamp and tape the backing to a table, then use 505 spray to attach the batting and top. No matter how careful I try to be I just can't seem to keep the backing seam lines matched up with the top. Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

You can often get it aligned in one direction (N-S or E-W), but it's difficult to get it to match in both. Your backing should be a couple inches larger than your top all the way around, so if there is a seam in the backing that goes all the way across the backing in one direction or the other, you should be able to match it to a seam on your quilt top.
If you really, really want some of the back to match up with the front, I've used thumb tacks. Put the tack thru seam intersections in the backing that you want to match to the front. Flat head of the tack on the right side of the fabric. YOu can put a little piece of masking tape over the head of the tack to keep it in place. Put the backing on a table and clamp as usual. CAREFULLY put your batting on and smooth, then CAREFULLY put your top on, using the tacks to align. after basting, remove the tacks.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

I've done the same as PaperPrincess. Just a matter of finding your center point/seam intersections. I pin everything together do the top half of each layer keeping everything aligned. Then do the bottom half of each layer starting with backing and smoothing as you go from center out. If I'm not going to get to it right away, I put a baste stitch in center and mid quarter sections.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:52 AM

I piece my backs with a seam directly in the center of the back so that when I place my top down I align the center of the top with the center of the back. Sometimes I put some of the big safety pins along the seam on the back that I need to find, it makes it easier to feel through the batting. It usually takes me a few tries before I get mine where I want it. You can always tell when I'm sandwiching because I'm usually not a happy camper, but once I get it where I want it I'm super glad I took the time.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 AM

Do can also try to lay something like several chop sticks or a yard on your quilt back on a seam line, than tape them in place. You should be able to feel those after placing the batting and top down. Line up with a seam on the quilt top. Probably clear as mud, but this is what I do. If you aren't perfect, don't worry, nobody but you will know.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:15 PM

PaperPrincess' thumbtack suggestion is what I have done too, but I've only done it on small wall-hanging size quilts, never on anything larger.

I usually only have a single stripe in my larger quilts pieced backs, and for those I put clover clips on each edge where the stripe seams run, so I can see/feel them through the layers when I put the top on, if I care. Usually with mine I don't really care where the stripe ends up but occasionally I do.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 PM

Thank you for all of your advice. I had never heard of the thumb tack method. I will try all of your ideas and see what works best for me.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 PM

It would be better if the seams did not match with a top seam. Why the thickness caused by all those layers would hinder free motion quilting flow and snap needles.
guess how I know? Now adays I try to get extra wide and have no seams on the back.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:06 AM

I piece my backs all the time and never try to match the seams. They turn out fine. I still use wide backs and coordinating fabrics for backs for some quilts, but I truly love pieced backs. And if the fabrics are leftovers from the front- you know it will work!