Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pieced binding for a quilt

I have to piece some fabric together to have enough binding to go around my quilt. In piecing together, do you piece it on the diagonal or just straight . Information will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    I have to piece some fabric together to have enough binding to go around my quilt. In piecing together, do you piece it on the diagonal or just straight . Information will be greatly appreciated.
    I always do the diagonal because it is more aesthetically pleasing. Also, if you want to enter it in a show the quilt it will do much better this way.

ali

Blog Entries
    For bindings I always do it on the diagonal ... less bulky when you get to the seam.

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat
    I always do the diagonal because it is more aesthetically pleasing. Also, if you want to enter it in a show the quilt it will do much better this way.

ali
    piecing it on the diagonal creates less bulk on the binding as well - otherwise you have a seam front/to back on the binding in the same spot and it causes a "lump" (learned from piecing a flannel binding without doing it on the diagonal! :? )

If I am using the same material to make enough binding to go all around the quilt, I piece it on the diagonal.

However, I have also made pieced bindings with all of the fabrics that are in the quilt. When making this type of pieced binding, I piece them straight.

I do the same as Bluphrog!

Diagonal for me, less bulk if the seam is distributed diagonally instead of straight across from top to back. I just like it better but I think its whatever you like and works for you.

Blog Entries
    I always piece bindings on the diagonal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieKat
    For bindings I always do it on the diagonal ... less bulky when you get to the seam.
    Exactly what I would say. If you are using "thinner" cotton, it might be OK to do a straight seam. Usually I do a diagonal seam, though.

Speaking from experience-piece it on the diagonal unless you don't have enough fabric.
    Kat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast