Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pieced tablecloth quilt--use batting or not?

I bought this kit for a wallhanging, but when I made it up, it was too big for my wall. It didn't seem that large in the LQS. So I decided I would use it for a tablecloth.

Shall I just put backing on it and quilt it, or shall I use a thin layer of batting--maybe flannel or something--or regular batting. What would you do?

This got too big for my wall
    Name:  Attachment-117959.jpe
Views: 284
Size:  3.36 MB

That is very pretty, interesting. You sew lovely. Personally, I'd use flannel or thin Warm & Natural. Then you could use it as a table topper (try diagonal on your table) or a tablecloth.

Something light on the back but I don't think it needs batting.

Jen:) Love the pattern!

Perhaps I left out an important piece of information. The quilt measures 66" by 80".

Depends if you are using it as a decorative table covering, then a thin batting would be okay. If you are using the quilt when the table is being used, a batting may make things more tipsy on top (like coffee or milk) and that's not a good thing. If you're unsure, leave it out and you still have your options open. Really beautiful top. I have a wall big enough for it if you still have a delimma (LOL).

I think I would use a thin batting or even a flannel. I am thinking about the seams and wonder if a thin bat would help them 'melt' into flatness. is that clear as mud??

Blog Entries
    I would put flannel back and quilt. Great quilt. enjoy new quilted table cloth

Quote Originally Posted by Sallyflymi
    I would put flannel back and quilt. Great quilt. enjoy new quilted table cloth
    This is what I would do. Actually have done it and it worked great. Love the quilt.