Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pieced vs solid backing >

pieced vs solid backing

pieced vs solid backing

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM

Default pieced vs solid backing

I'm working on a quilt for my son that is very busy with colors and number of different fabrics. I am debating doing a patterned backing - to kind of have two quilts in one - but wanted opinions. He wants me to just stipple the quilt rather than do certain designs in certain areas. What do you think - solid or piece the backing. Maybe I should post a picture to give a better idea, but I'm not at home right now to do that. Thanks for your input!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

i piece -make (reversible) quilts all the time- it is fun to have two totally different looks -one on each side.
keep it simple- so you don't have too many seams to stitch through- a big-block pieced backing works well.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:15 PM

I've done this a few times too. I usually do it cause I have stash I want to use up. Keep it simple. Like an uneven 9-patch or one round of logs around a center square.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:09 PM

I LOVE a pieced back!! I have only done one solid backed quilt and that is because I knew that the person who was getting it (MIL) would never use and it would be laid across the back of her couch. 2 years later, it's still there!! She got a little touchy when I used it last Christmas when I was cold and pulled it around me. Her quilt, her rules I guess!

The back is just another place to add some more color or another element to the quilt. I am on a roll with baby quilts and I make up extra of the blocks I use on the front and put them on the back. A lot of the time, I just use 2 different fabrics and split up the back.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 PM

I make queen sized quilts. I have stopped buying nine yards of fabric for just one piece backs. Now I buy six yards and put two vertical stripes of about six inches or I piece the center panel of three equal pieces and just use a solid for the outside panels. Uses up big chunks of my stash and somehow doesn't seem as expensive. As was noted before if you are hand quilting I think it would be hard if there are to many seams. I quilt on a little Janome and have had no problem with the seams.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:25 PM

warmth is what counts, Practicle and well love and warm, You should be afraid of using a quilt, They should invite you to snugle with the fabric layers to stay warm.
Warm and practicle

Last edited by fred singer; 01-11-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:08 AM
SEW

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i piece -make (reversible) quilts all the time- it is fun to have two totally different looks -one on each side.
keep it simple- so you don't have too many seams to stitch through- a big-block pieced backing works well.
I do this also! It makes the quilt more fun and it is a cost savings to me since I use up any extra blocks that didn't go in the front paired with large leftover scraps of fabric.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:51 AM

I make my backs to "coordinate" with the front. Usually they are plain backs that I use the FMQ or SID to give a pattern to. I have tried to put peiced backing (ususally with extra material if I am short backing fabric) on but I have had a hard time matching the backing with the front to get the patterns lined up.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
I make queen sized quilts. I have stopped buying nine yards of fabric for just one piece backs. Now I buy six yards and put two vertical stripes of about six inches or I piece the center panel of three equal pieces and just use a solid for the outside panels. Uses up big chunks of my stash and somehow doesn't seem as expensive. As was noted before if you are hand quilting I think it would be hard if there are to many seams. I quilt on a little Janome and have had no problem with the seams.
Thanks for all the replies - pieced it will be. I quilt on my sewing machine.