Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Piecing with muslin

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies. Apparently the muslin (in the pattern) is just a stablizing or foundation piece for the string pieces. I didn't realize that and wasn't sure if it really needed to be muslin. Sometimes I take directions too literally.

Blog Entries
    No, it doesn't HAVE to be muslin. Muslin is simply a very inexpensive fabric that is easily available, which is why they recommend it. As other posters have said, you can use anything you have on hand, as long as it doesn't show through your top fabrics. I've purchased sheets on clearance and at IKEA that I've used. Just keep in mind that sheets are usually woven tighter than muslin, and this might be an issue for some quilters.

Power Poster
    It is hard to find a good quality muslin for piecing into quilts nowadays. I usually go with a white on white fabric if I am piecing. HOWEVER since is looks as if the muslin is intended for foundation piecing on than the thinness would be an asset. Any lightweight light coloured fabric that won't show through the fabric sewn onto it will work. The reason you use a lightweight product for foundation piecing is so the layers of the quilt are not too hard to quilt through later.

I think muslin is recommended because of it's light weight, neutral in color so it won't show through other pieces on top and economical. If your scraps fit all this, then use them. Hope that helps.
    Linda

Power Poster
    Hope you pre-shrunk your foundation fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Hope you pre-shrunk your foundation fabric.
    I haven't started yet, only in the planning stage at this point. However, I like to prewash all fabric!

Blog Entries
    I have used dryer sheets (used) as foundations for string blocks and they have worked beautifully. If your making smaller blocks this may be a idea for you ...............
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2