Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piffle & Nonsense >

Piffle & Nonsense

Piffle & Nonsense

Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

For those wanting to make a list of their own.......I have enough guilt with my DH asking me "whatever happened to......" :roll: :D Unless Mad sends those cases of cabernet to everyone..then we might get some interesting lists!

I would guess that if you wanted to swap your UFO...trade out tasks to finish them up or whatever..you could post under swaps then arrange all the details via pm with someone that wanted to do that with you. Patrice is right about that one...
Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
For those wanting to make a list of their own.......I have enough guilt with my DH asking me "whatever happened to......" :roll: :D Unless Mad sends those cases of cabernet to everyone..then we might get some interesting lists!
I made a list using a large index card. Evidently it wasn't large enough since I filled in every available space on the poor thing, front and back. I keep it on my sewing/cutting table so I can refer to it often. Of course, if I actually want to see the thing I will have to unbury it from a rather large pile of fabric and stuff. Every once in awhile I hear it cry out for help under there. I just run upstairs when that happens so I don't have to listen to it. :lol:
Old 12-05-2009, 12:54 AM

I also wonder where some of the people in my quilters' group get the time to finish so many quilts each month. It takes me forever, I need time to shop, clean and exercise - do they have someone to do all the other stuff for them? or are they just fast, and everything goes well for them? I spend as much time ripping out as I spend sewing. Angelhs
Old 12-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Administrator

time spent quilting is time spent not doing something else.

some quilters have the rather odd idea that they should pay attention to their families; do their fair share around the house; spend time with their friends; eat; sleep; and any number of other things not related to quilting.

they have lives and live them.

go figure.

;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-05-2009, 04:03 AM

Thanks a heckuva lot - I just had to find out what Starflower was. I love it! Got the pattern, put it in my favorites and one of these days I will do it as a cover for the back of our couch! I am in the process simulataneously of making Quilts for Kids, seeing if I can help with that a bit here in Minnesota, making a quilt for my husband and I "Floating Stars" and binding a quilt for #1 son and his wife! By Christmas!

I am one of them that cleans the house up, does the chores, gets supper going and then when the errands are taken care of (which includes JoAnns and/or Hancock, I go to my ironing board and table (sewing room until I can put together my new Quilting Center) (which I will be getting for Christmas from my husband). If I get it done today or tomorrow or next year, who is going to care except me and life is too short to worry about getting everything done. It is always good to have something in the wings. And changing projects is always good. You don't get frustrated, angry or bored with what you are doing. I generally have three irons in the fire. I don't think I could handle any more. If I have a small coverlet I will hand quilt it, the big ones I have professionally done, for one thing I think they hold up better, the quilters are better able to handle heavy quilts in the space that they have than I am, so I have found the world's best quilting shop, "Quilt Yourself" in Savage, Minnesota. They are helpful, kind, generous and fun! And they teach you how to do it yourself and you can use their machines. We live a long way from them and so when I do have a quilt that I want done, I take it there. We have been there three times in 2009. I am anticipating once in 2010 with my Floating Stars and I believe I will be making another Cancer quilt this coming year for the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer walk. Actually, I don't believe I will be making it, I know I am going to be making it! This may be a yearly project for me. They made an awful lot of money on the one I made this year and they asked me the day of the raffle drawing if I would make another one for next year and I already said yes. So that takes care of that, I guess! So it will be two times in 2010.

I just say, do what makes you happy and if you have a backlog, you'll get to it, because it isn't going to go anyplace!!!!!

I love making quilts! Edie
Old 12-05-2009, 05:14 AM

You're welcome, ERHausFrau. The Starflower was really very difficult for me to put together ... far and away the hardest piecing I've ever done and the end result is not as satisfactory as I would like. I put a picture on this QB of the completed top at a point when I didn't think I even wanted to finish the quilt and wondered what should I do with it. I was going to tell you this morning where you could see it, but now I can't find it. I went back all the way to April of past messages before I gave up looking. Anyway, it sounds to me as though you are more skilled than I at piecing ... so Starflower might be a "piece of cake" for you to make. Hope so!

Back in the day when I had 3 children living at home, had a 5-day a week job and kept a clean, neat house and my flower beds cleaned up, I made most of my own clothes, made dolls, sewed for my kids, etc., etc. Now that it's just me (retired) and my DH (retired) living here, I do very little of ANYTHING ... EVER. Apparently I've grown very fond of the layer of dust that's on everything in this house. And it takes me for forever and a day to finish a quilt. Go figure!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
good for you!!! now wave those scissors around where the UFOs can see them. and double-dog dare 'em to stare again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to follow this advice. I have UFO's that sit out and stare at me, some in drawers that only give me the evil eye when I open the drawer, and a couple in the closet. I don't think I could handle making a total list at this point. (Maybe sometime when I feel really strong.)

To make matters worse I have a queen-sized top ready to be quilted for my daughter by a longarmer. Unfortunately, I stalled waiting for a little more cash so I could have it done and now everyone is booked up. That is not to mention the Downy quilt that is almost done and the PP arcs that I am making for the class on the Montana Cartwheel.

I'd better go shower so I can spend the rest of the day sewing--my DH is out of town for the day so it is the perfect chance (except for the Christmas shopping and stuff that I "should" be doing.LOL)

I really have to work on getting that shoulda, coulda, woulda out of my vocabulary and head again. It keeps creeping back in!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 12-05-2009, 04:35 PM

Weezie, it's the same with me. When I think of all I did when I was young and strong. It tires me just thinking about it. It seems that now I just can't get things done. What's the saying?, the faster I go the behinder I get. :lol:
Old 12-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
Weezie, it's the same with me. When I think of all I did when I was young and strong. It tires me just thinking about it. It seems that now I just can't get things done. What's the saying?, the faster I go the behinder I get. :lol:
The Hurrier I Go, The Behinder I Get!

That is so me in a nutshell! Edie
Old 12-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ERhausfrau
Originally Posted by GailG
The Hurrier I Go, The Behinder I Get!

That is so me in a nutshell! Edie
Yeah, but you two gals still do tons of things. Gail, I know you do, because you and I have talked about it. I only have to be available for the dog ( who refuses to learn to open the door by herself [and is actually too short!] or fix her own meals or drive herself to the vet or groomer) and for my husband, who is a DA Vet. My other main concerns are keeping the bathrooms, the dishes and the laundry clean. Everything else, except for grocery shopping and keeping the wood fire burning in the winter, is a "maybe I will or maybe I won't". It's really not that I don't have the time, but that I don't have the energy or interest any more in winning a good housekeeping seal of approval.