Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piffle & Nonsense >

Piffle & Nonsense

Piffle & Nonsense

Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 PM

All the Christmas presents have invaded the sewing room now. I am hoping they will not MINGLE with the UFO'S. OH! That is my worst fear! Will they multiply. My husband walked past my sewing room awhile ago and said, " Hey! Are you TRAPPED in there"? I had to move everything to open the big cutting table to pin a quilt "sandwich" together". The computer chair I use ended up in the hall way with bags of Christmas presents on it.... I may have to fight my way back in there in the morning...
Old 12-05-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
All the Christmas presents have invaded the sewing room now. I am hoping they will not MINGLE with the UFO'S. OH! That is my worst fear! Will they multiply. My husband walked past my sewing room awhile ago and said, " Hey! Are you TRAPPED in there"? I had to move everything to open the big cutting table to pin a quilt "sandwich" together". The computer chair I use ended up in the hall way with bags of Christmas presents on it.... I may have to fight my way back in there in the morning...
Good luck with all of that 'not mingling' and you getting back into your sewing room in the a.m.

I see you're in Blaine, WA. My blood kin (except for my 3 "kids") are just across the line from you in Langley & Abbotsford, B.C. I lived in Blaine for the month of January 1966 awaiting my DH's return from VietNam. I wouldn't recognize Blaine nowadays.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Xmas gifts in the works (XGW) mate with UFOs. the results are UFXG!!!! you want to talk about naggers? UFXG are the worst!

not only are they cryin' 'cause they're not done; they remind you over and over that so-and-so didn't/won't get their gift this year. AND since they almost never get done on time around here, they laugh at me for having had to run out on xmas eve to spend unplanned $$$ getting all the so-and-sos something else instead. :shock: :hunf:

solution? point out to the little varmints that xmas will come around again next year; shove 'em into a drawer; and remind them that cotton fabs make great kindling for a cozy winter fire.

(ok. you know i wouldn't do that. and I know i wouldn't do that. but they don't need to know i wouldn't do that. :lol: )
Old 12-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Xmas gifts in the works (XGW) mate with UFOs. the results are UFXG!!!! you want to talk about naggers? UFXG are the worst!
Don't you just love the language of quilters? UFXG - I interpret that as unfinished christmas GUILT. Am I close, Patrice?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:35 AM

I had two coupons left from the last flyer from JoAnn's. A 50% and a 40%. I bought a fat quarter bundle and two spools of variegated thread. They are really neat on the Quilts for Kids. Why is it that we think we have to use those coupons and spend money to save money on fabric? I love fabric and it is getting a choke hold on me. (Gasssppp!) I have three coals in the fire right now. I figure if I don't get it done, the quilting elfies will do it and if they don't, it isn't meant to be done quite yet. It'll get done. I don't worry about it; I just realize that there is something else on this earth for me to complete before I leave this mortal coil. And I sure am not ready for that yet. I discovered with my scrappies that I have accummulated and a few from the Quilts for Kids I don't really have to buy fat quarters. But I just love the different designs and colors.

Someone wrote in about not buying anymore fabric and using up what we have. I have done four quilts with my leftovers already this year - and one in the works. I do have to buy the background color, but that doesn't count. I still have enough to make maybe three or four more quilts.

I was going to make table runners and/or placemats. but changed my mind because that would put me on a deadline and I'll start something like that later this winter during the doldrums.

I absolutely cannot sit and make a job out of my quilting, because then it just wouldn't be fun anymore. So I just amble along, putting on a pot roast, binding a bit, throwing in a load of clothes, sewing hst's, and on and on!

I think I mentioned this. #1 husband had basal cell carcinoma surgery this past Wednesday and it rendered him all swollen up around his eyes, under his eyes (talk about bags - they were green), so I was tending to him quite a bit. God love him, he has been through so darn much. Hepatitis, two different bouts of cancer, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment Decompression Surgery (How's that for a mouthful) and now his second surgery for Basal Cell. This man is my hero. He's cute too!!!!!!!! It is after 49-1/2 years that I realize he's handsomer than the day I met him. Poor guy, why don't women get better looking as they age. We just sag and drag and bag! And by the time you hit 71, you figure "Hey, that extra piece of chocolate will taste better than it will look!!!!" I have worked for every grey hair I have on this head of mine. Every wrinkle I have are worry wrinkles and I am ONE BIG WRINKLE!!!!!! But I love my Lord, my husband, my family and who could ask for anything else. I have so much to be grateful for. And I do so love life. And I know that I will never be given any more than I can handle. I do need space though. I really need space. My husband bought me a quilting center thing for Christmas and I can't wait to get it together and then I'll really need more space.

So, now I put on a pot roast, throw in a load of clothes and check out what Walgreen's has on sale and cover up with the quilt I made for our son and DSDIL (dear sweet) and bind on that while the football games are on. My husband told me the Vikings don't play until tonight! That means I'll get a lot done during the day today.

Edie
Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 AM

If I made a list of my UFOs, it would require too much effort! I just keep picking up the next box and opening to discover the surprise inside! That has led to some interesting times. For instance, one UFO I finished went up on a wall where I teach, and people started asking for a class in 'how to' :) So I got to pass on the method. I find that great fun.

Unfortunately, not only do I have UFOs, I have fabric in groups that I purchased for specific projects. Not one cut has been made. The fabric and pattern sit there, patiently waiting their turn, while I go off gallivanting - inevitably finding another pattern that is too good to pass up! :oops: :oops:

Ah, well. My goal for next year is to keep opening those storage boxes, completing each as I open it. Oh - and to include my scraps in projects, too...

You can ask next December if I accomplished this :lol: :lol:
Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 AM

Okay,
I rarely make New Year's resolutions because I always feel like I am setting myself up for failure. I guess I must not believe in them enough or something. This thread and Pittsburgpam's "Almost made my 2009 goal" have gotten my attention, though. I think that I will focus on getting projects finished in 2010.

I like the idea of calling it a goal not a resolution and remember that someone told me that when you don't complete a goal by the deadline you set you shouldn't throw away the goal, but move up the deadline. The way they put it made sense to me and my closet perfectionist.

I'm not saying that I won't buy more fabric and patterns, hehe, :lol: but finishing things will be my focus.

You heard it here, folks! :-) :-)
Old 12-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ERhausfrau
I had two coupons left from the last flyer from JoAnn's. A 50% and a 40%. I bought a fat quarter bundle and two spools of variegated thread. They are really neat on the Quilts for Kids. Why is it that we think we have to use those coupons and spend money to save money on fabric?
Edie
Ooooh, not me! I've used my coupons for all sorts of things; thread, cutting mats, rulers, fancy pins, pincushions, magazines, books, thimbles...the list goes on and on. It's a great way to get my Secret Sister something. I can't begin to tell you how excited I was to pick up a huge cutting mat for my SS for her b-day and only spend $23 instead of almost $50. I've also used it to buy batting. I buy it by the yard and it's a great way to stock up. :D
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by zkosh
Okay,
I rarely make New Year's resolutions because I always feel like I am setting myself up for failure. I guess I must not believe in them enough or something. This thread and Pittsburgpam's "Almost made my 2009 goal" have gotten my attention, though. I think that I will focus on getting projects finished in 2010.

I like the idea of calling it a goal not a resolution and remember that someone told me that when you don't complete a goal by the deadline you set you shouldn't throw away the goal, but move up the deadline. The way they put it made sense to me and my closet perfectionist.

I'm not saying that I won't buy more fabric and patterns, hehe, :lol: but finishing things will be my focus.

You heard it here, folks! :-) :-)
Well, Neighbor, I like your style. Last year when I took the challenge to finish one of my UFOs, I couldn't believe that I actually succeeded. And that's about where it stopped. If I could just finish some of the things that I've started, I'd be so pleased with myself. I just keep getting all of these ideas and then I start something else, leaving WIPs by the wayside. I like your attitude. Maybe I'll try that one. Thanks. Gailg in South Louisiana.