Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pillow inserts?

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar

Pillow inserts?

My mom would like me to make her some pillow covers, and I thought it would be a good way to practice making blocks, but i don't know where to get the pillow innerds. Is there a good source for this - foam would be perfect!

Blog Entries
    JoAnn's sells pillow inserts or you can just make the outside and then stuff with stuffing from, once again, JoAnn's or Walmart.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Just did some for a friend and got them from JoAnn's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
    My mom would like me to make her some pillow covers, and I thought it would be a good way to practice making blocks, but i don't know where to get the pillow innerds. Is there a good source for this - foam would be perfect!
    Does she already have pillows that she wants you to make pillow covers for? If she has pillows that she wants "freshened up" just re -use the ones she has.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Do you mean little foam pieces filling a pillow insert or solid foam you cut to size? IMHO solid foam shapes need a very tailored pillow cover. JoAnns has several different grades and types of forms that allow for great variety in pillow covers. One reason I signed up for the free block of the month class on Craftsy.com was because I can make the blocks that interest me into pillow covers. I like to change mine in living and family rooms according to seasons.
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

not sure i would like to rest with my face on a pieced section-[i have enough wrinkles already] but the edges looj great jazzed up--just thought naybe your pillows are our cushions ???

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar
    Yes, cushions, not sleeping pillows! I'll check out Joann's - thanks, all.

now i feel silly!!!!!!!!

I save my really small scraps in a bag and when I have enough I make a simple square or rectangle insert and stuff it with the scraps. Then i make the quilted portion, using a lightweight batting (similar to quilting a pocketbook). Its a good way to recycle the scraps that are too small for anything else.