Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: pillow shams

I've only given baby quilts as gifts. I'm working on a queen sized one for my son and his bride. Do I make pillow shams to go with it or just give them the quilt ? If shams are a must should I use left over fabric for them? I've never seen this question addressed.

I'm not trying to open a can of worms!

Thanks for the input!
    Becky

The option is yours. Shams would be a wonderfuladdition to the quilt. I guess the question would be how the quilt was going to be used. Is it more as a coverlet? or to rest at the foot of the bed.

You could if you wanted to. To me, the pillow shams would be like an added bonus. They're gonna like the quilt whether you decide make them or not. :D

If you decide on shams I would use the leftover, at least in some part of the design and other co-ordinating fabric. Then too, if not shams you could make a throw pillow to go with it....maybe a bolster...breakfast in bed placemats?....the sky is the limit....! How is that for worms?

Sometimes when I am making a quilt that isn't long enough to tuck pillow under, I use embroidered pillow cases instead of shams. Now shams are real pretty, but usally, by the time I get done with the quilt, I don't want to look at that pattern any more! LOL

I've noticed that most of the BOM's offered by quilt shops have kits for pillow cases from co-oridinating fabric, I think they look nice but then if they are actually used they will be washed more frequently and wear out quicker.

I like the throw pillow idea more than shams - maybe because I've never had pillow shams? LOL
    But, yes, I would use at least some of the same fabrics, so they will "go" with the quilt. What a lovely gift for your son & d-i-l!
    :D

sue