Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pin cushion material >

pin cushion material

pin cushion material

Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM

Default pin cushion material

We lost our home in the spring tornado in OKC and my sewing room was destroyed. I am beginning to collect the notions, cabinets and sewing machine so far. Some time ago I found on line a source for metal filings to use on the inside of pin cushions. This really worked! The order came with a small amount of filings and a small piece of fabric (somewhat like swim suit fabric) that would contain the filings. This fabric was for the inner cushion, then I made a decorative cover. I have searched on Google and cannot find it again. I must have found the original source on a sewing board. I don't like a pin cushion that won't stay in place and this one had enough weight to stay on the table and the filings sharpened the pins. I would appreciate any feedback of the metal filings or something new to me that would work. Thanks. Frankie
Old 01-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

What you're looking for is emery sand, try googleing it and see what comes up.
sorry about your house.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:16 PM

The last time I looked at emery sand, it was unbelievably expensive, so I started using kitty litter. It's baked clay that is crushed into little pieces. It is abrasive, so sharpens pins and needles, and it is inexpensive. I make weighted bases for the pincushions I sew by using ceramic tiles (either the square or rectangle) as the base. I sew a fabric covering that the tile slips into from either the same or contrasting fabric. The covering has a piece of velcro sewn down the center and the open end is slipstitched closed. Then, I make a pincushion that has the other half of the velcro sewn on it. You can remove the pincushion from the base, but it will not slip off.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM

Were you in the one near Edmond?

I don't know where the metal shavings are but I have started to use sandblasting sand. There is a place in OKC that supplies it and it's very, very, very cheap and heavy too.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:09 PM

I use sand also. I just bought a sack of playground sand. I have enough sand to make LOTS of pin cushions. It has to be so hard recovering from a tornado. I am glad you are getting your sewing stuff all fixed up.

Dina
Old 01-30-2014, 03:19 PM

After seeing a post on the board about pin cushion made with sand blasting sand or Glass blasting beads both can be get at harbor freight. I made pin cushion out of both. both are gone to stay in place. I have pin cushion out of both look them both. My son also had some walnut hull and I try one out of this as well and I can tall that anyone is any better them other. You can only get blasting thing in only big bag is the only bad thing.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:24 PM

I used the Play sand made for the kids sandboxes. It usually comes in a large bag, but there is plenty to share with your quilting buddies.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:25 PM

If you can find a supplier it's really much, much cheaper. I think I gave $14.00 for 80 pounds.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I will look at the sand idea.