Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pineapple Strip or Applique Block-anyone seen one?

I was at the quilt store yesterday and a lady had a quilt she had made with 8 pineapples. The pineapples were made from Batik fabric scrap strips. (She had purchased the fabric on a trip to Hawaii.) I couldn't get close enough to see whether they were strip blocks or an applique made with strips of fabric. The pineapples were about 8-10 inches high. This was not the traditional quilt block pattern.

I have seen strips, small sqares, and diamond shapes sewn together and then cut the shape of a pineapple and appliqued with the leaves. Makes neat looking blocks.

This sounds interesting. Please post picture if you have made this quilt.

I haven't made a quilt like this, just have seen pictures of other people's work from time to time--usually tabletoppers or runners.

Take a look at www.quiltpassions.net and then go to this site.
    There is a pineapple pattern (out of stock now) but may be what you are looking for. [http://barbarabieraugeldesigns.com/c...hp?category=64]

Quote Originally Posted by nnewman
    I was at the quilt store yesterday and a lady had a quilt she had made with 8 pineapples. The pineapples were made from Batik fabric scrap strips. (She had purchased the fabric on a trip to Hawaii.) I couldn't get close enough to see whether they were strip blocks or an applique made with strips of fabric. The pineapples were about 8-10 inches high. This was not the traditional quilt block pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by KonaLinda
    Take a look at www.quiltpassions.net and then go to this site.
    There is a pineapple pattern (out of stock now) but may be what you are looking for. [http://barbarabieraugeldesigns.com/c...hp?category=64]

Quote Originally Posted by nnewman
    Thats the one I was thinking of

Blog Entries
    We did that as a class when I still had my own quilt shop. The pineapples are done like a french braid and then applique the pineapple and leaves on a block. It was alot of fun for the customers...they really enjoyed it.

Using "search" you will find numerous tutorials or pictures of pineapple blocks & appliques. What fun you will have with this - I will love to see your quilt. My strips are resting in their box.

Thank you so much! This is it. Now I will have to figure out all to go about getting a pattern!

Thank you all--I was able to order the pattern today. I'll have fun using up batik scraps; the pattern looks pretty fun and easy.