Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pink is the New White >

Pink is the New White

Pink is the New White

Old 08-14-2016, 10:17 AM

Default Pink is the New White

Ok, so, I finally finished my g'sons graduation quilt (3 months late) and it's mostly reds with some white. I know what you're thinking..... I washed the fabrics in the top before making it, using several color catchers, but didn't pre wash the backing, which is a dark red fleece type of fabric. So far, I've washed it 4 times, using an entire box of color catchers, which did eventually get lighter, so decided it was good to go, and partially dried it....kind of mostly....and, the white has a pinkish tinge. Now what?? Thanks for any advice!!
Old 08-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

Save it for a granddaughter? Ask the grandson if he likes pink?

Seriously, if it's mostly red with only a little white it may be okay. Can you post a picture?
Old 08-14-2016, 11:36 AM

This is drastic (in my book), but have you considered tea dying? Not sure what the pinkish tint would do once tea dyed....
perhaps doing a run with a sample.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Washing several times in *hot* water with *Synthrapol* will eventually remove the pink. The problem with color catchers is that they often cannot catch all of the loose dye particles. This is why I prefer doing the first with with Synthrapol in hot water. Synthrapol suspends dye particles in the water so they do not have a chance to settle into the fabrics. However, Synthrapol does require hot water (and a LOT of it!) to work. Be aware that domestic front loaders do not use enough water. A domestic top loader is fine, and is a laundromat's large front loader.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:30 PM

Thanks so much for your replies! I had forgotten about Synthrapol! I was in such a hurry to get it finished (moving to college Tuesday) that I just forged ahead. It should have occurred to me that I needed to at least test the backing. Here it is, all dry now. It definitely isn't the white it was before washed, but hopefully not glaringly pink! When it comes time to,wash again, I will have some Synthrapol on hand for sure![ATTACH=CONFIG]555956[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555957[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpg  
Old 08-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Often, once you've dried it the heat has set the colors so there's no help at this point. I personally think your quilt is wonderful, and the off-white portions have consistent color. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:46 PM

I don't think it's too pinky! It's cute
Old 08-14-2016, 12:56 PM

Ok, thanks for your thoughts! I was kind of hoping that I saved it from the dryer before it had set the color permanently, but I guess I can give the Synthropol a try when the time comes....nothing ventured! It will likely have worse problems when it comes around for a cleaning! The puckered middle is due to hanging on the exercise bike/clothes rack.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:43 PM

Yeah, I think any residual run is red, not pink. It looks great!
Old 08-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

In the photo, it does look OK. I think he will enjoy this great quilt. Better late than never!