Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pinking shears

How do you think pinking shears would work on a rag piece. I don't have a pair but do they come in different sizes; as in the zig zag look. I know they have them for kids to cut paper :?: :?: :?: :D It would sure save a lot of work. Has anyone tried this?

lin
    Hmmm I'm not sure you'd get the same effect if you used pinking shears Ruth. Those type of scissors are meant to keep the raveling to a minimum, and with a rag quilt you want it to ravel a lot so you get that nice soft line of raveldy (that's a word now. LOL) fabric. It might make a pretty edging, and that would certainly be ok to do if that's the look you want, but I think it might cut down on the ragging a bit? It would save time however!! That's the only part of making a rag quilt that I hate, cutting all those slits through three thick layers. OUCH! :D

Try it, then report back to us, and you might just become famous for coming up with a better way to make rag quilts...just remember you knew us first! :mrgreen:

I would think that using a pinking shears would HURT, HURT, HURT like heck. Your hands would suffer for sure.

Ruth,
    Pinking shears that kids use on paper are small and light, the shears you would need for fabric tend to be quite large and heavy if you have a good pair. I certainly wouldn't want to do any heavy duty cutting with them!
    Shelly

Pinking shears would keep your rag quilt from being a rag quilt... it wouldn't fray. You can use regular scissors, but the best are Fiscars rag snippers that are spring loaded. Much easier on your hands! Barb C

Oh, Ruth,
    I have a permanent callous on my finger and thumb from using the pinking sheers on all the garments I've put together over the years. I can't even't file them off with an emory board. I started doing French seams to avoid the pain and the ugly lumps. They really hurt to try to use them, for me anyway. H even bought me some that were recommended by the fabric shop from Fiskars with the soft handles, but they drag anyway.

I'd forego that pain if you can!
    Sharon