Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinking Shears

To use or not to use when cutting fabric for quilts?

Blog Entries
    I don't use pinking shears. I find it makes it too difficult to get that "perfect" 1/4" seam. I never know whether to use the inside or the outside of the "pinked" line as the edge of the fabric.
    As for jellyrolls and turnovers that come cut with pinking shears, I find them hard to work with for the same reason, and I don't like all the lint that they create. I have to take the loose pieces outside for a good shake before I start using them.
    IMHO

Blog Entries
    slow process. you could cut your blocks much faster with a rotary cutter. pinks are very hard on the hands when doing a lot of cutting. let us know what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    I don't use pinking shears. I find it makes it too difficult to get that "perfect" 1/4" seam. I never know whether to use the inside or the outside of the "pinked" line as the edge of the fabric.
    As for jellyrolls and turnovers that come cut with pinking shears, I find them hard to work with for the same reason, and I don't like all the lint that they create. I have to take the loose pieces outside for a good shake before I start using them.
    IMHO
    I agree. I just used up a bunch of charm pack squares in a scrappy quilt that had pinked edges. Drove me nuts trying to get that 1/4 inch seam. Never again. I will really pay attention to how fabrics are cut rather then just the fabrics themselves from now on!

Just found my Gma's pinking shears. The handles are well worn, so she pinked. I would love to find a good reason to put her pinking shears to good use. It is obvious she loved them as they were in the original packaging with lots of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
    Just found my Gma's pinking shears. The handles are well worn, so she pinked. I would love to find a good reason to put her pinking shears to good use. It is obvious she loved them as they were in the original packaging with lots of use.
    Back when Grandma quilted or sewed, she probably needed to pink edges to help stop fabric raveling. Pinking is not as necessary nowadays.

I, too, agree that pinking is difficult when trying to get that quarter inch seam, and that it creates a lot of lint. They do, however, make a pinking rotary cutter blade for those who are determined to do so.

Blog Entries
    I used to pink a lot when I sewed clothes. I haven't since then.

Yes I to think they where used more often in regular sewing
    then they are now a days :D

Power Poster
    Sometimes people used felt for ornaments or whatever - the pinking shears made the edges look a little more interesting.

It did help minimize fraying of seams - now sergers are relatively available and work better to make professional looking seam finishes.

I mainly use pinking shears on corduroy and velvets.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast