Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinning vs. Spray Basting >

Pinning vs. Spray Basting

Pinning vs. Spray Basting

Old 04-18-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I thread baste with tatting thread and a herringbone stitch, as taught by Sharon Schamber in her board basting video, and there's no shifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ

Ditto, except I use water soluble thread. I can quilt over my basting stitches, and I don't have to pick them out when I'm done.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 PM

I spray baste & love the June Taylor Spray Baste. A friend had given me several different ones & since I already used a whole can of spray baste on the first two panels of the King sized quilt I'm working on, I tried one of the others. I found it had a heavy odor even working outdoors in the open & now that I'm quilting it, I don't like the way it's acting either. From now on, I'm June Taylor all the way as it has so little odor, I can use it inside with my bird & it has no effect on him. It also holds great & I can reposition easily if the need arises. It also washes out easily. Spray basting is so much easier on my hands that are full of arthritis. There is a learning curve to make it go quickly and easily, but I've finally learned & do great. On days I have trouble, I ask DH for help which he doesn't mind doing.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:15 PM

Alyce, I do wash my quilts once they're finished -- I know I am horribly old-fashioned in a lot of ways -- I've only made a few quilts. Only two of them have been completely finished and delivered to the intended recipient, and those were both washed. The quilts I make have, thus far, been very large quilts -- all king-size, or even larger (the red and white log cabin I did) and I'm still working on finishing them. I've had some serious spinal problems in the past, and every time I've tried to sandwich a quilt, I end up incapacitated and in the bed for at least a couple of days afterward. For that reason, I've not accomplished much. My biggest problem is I really don't have a place to work on sandwiching my quilts so I don't glue-baste either. We're working on that now, by expanding my Hinterberg hand-quilting frame. If it works the way I think it will, I'll be able to sit and pin-baste, with no bending, etc. That's my goal. I don't want to become useless in my "later" years (I'll soon be 72), but I'm very much opposed to pain! LOL!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:08 AM

I use spray basting, but put pins in the corners just to make sure since the spray seems to miss the corners a lot.