Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheels -  Seam lump at center >

Pinwheels - Seam lump at center

Pinwheels - Seam lump at center

Old 08-21-2015, 11:03 AM

Thank you, everyone for your advice! I think I've figured out how to twirl the seam, and yes, it does create less bulk. These blocks are taking longer than I though they would, but I'm enjoying making them! Here are some photos - I think it's funny that I didn't realize I was making pinwheels with a pinwheel print. I hope that's not tacky! I thought it was cute and the colors in the print are perfect for what I need. This quilt is for the vintage camper trailer that my husband and I are restoring. Her name is Elsie (she's a Little Caesar, LC... = Elsie). He'll probably be done restoring her before I finish this quilt!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528384[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528385[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528386[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails twirl.jpg   pinwheels.jpg   fish.jpg  
Old 08-21-2015, 07:12 PM

I made a double pinwheel from Eleanor Burns' and she has you clip the seam allowance threads on two of the seams in the center, then you can do the twirly thing and press. Works great!
Old 08-22-2015, 02:18 AM

Try pressing your seams open.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:20 AM

You've got the twirling down! Way to go. IMO, I like the pinwheel fabric wih the pinwheel quilt pattern! How nifty is that?
Old 08-22-2015, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
This is a very good tutorial, but I press ALL my seams the same way on ALL sides (the iron slides around and around the outside),-- no alternating blocks, no pressing toward the dark. That way they ALL fit together with each other. I trim a little extra from the tips of the pinwheels that are going into the center, so there is much less bulk there. And the tiny pinwheel forms, too. I squash that down hard with my thumb, and a rubber hammer works well, too, after the thumb squash. Then the iron finishes it. I love making pinwheels.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:45 AM

I press my seams open and have no problems with a bump in the middle. I just could never do the "twirling" correctly.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
This is a very good tutorial, but I press ALL my seams the same way on ALL sides (the iron slides around and around the outside),-- no alternating blocks, no pressing toward the dark. That way they ALL fit together with each other. I trim a little extra from the tips of the pinwheels that are going into the center, so there is much less bulk there. And the tiny pinwheel forms, too. I squash that down hard with my thumb, and a rubber hammer works well, too, after the thumb squash. Then the iron finishes it. I love making pinwheels.
When all else fails, I have also resorted to putting it on a block of wood and hitting it with a hammer! I keep my own little hammer in my sewing room for this purpose - not just quilts but also flattening the double seam on jeans when you need to hem them.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Twirling will only work if you sew the two seams in the same direction. Hard to explain but if you have some seams that won't spin that is the reason.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:58 AM

Tartan has excellent advice.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:53 AM

Excellent advice, everyone! Thank you!!! I love this board, everyone is so knowledgeable. Much appreciated.