Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Places to donate to

I was wondering if someone had a list of different places that took quilts kid and adult?

I have donated quilts to the local hospital for the pediatrics unit. Also the cancer treatment centers. We have an organization in my area called FISH that helps the needy. I have donated fleece blankets to them and I know they would also welcome quilts. Check with your local police/fire departments. Sometimes they take quilts to give to people who are suddenly displaced from their homes due to fire, domestic abuse, etc.

i too donate local to the children's hospital, breast cancer treatment center, and the 2 local hospice facilities.

Here are two that take kids projects:

http://www.projectlinus.org/
    http://www.binkypatrol.org/

To donate to soldier's there is http://soldiersangels.org/sewing-team.html
    This is a big organization that has many different ways of helping soldiers. I have adopted a soldier through them and plan on donating quilts for their blankets of hope.

Blog Entries
    I would think that childrens hospitals; rest homes, I can imagine some of these elderly people would love to snuggle w/a quilt; bring back memories. Homeless shelters; check w/your LQS; ours do the quilts of valor and you can get the quilting part done for free.

womens resource center,
    hospital pediatrics ward
    fire/police departments- EMT's
    senior center
    care facilities

I prefer to donate in our area, mostly because we live in a cold climate, the need is big, and shipping is expensive.
    Special Olympics I will mail to as I crochet the neck scarves for the Olympics programs for each state have their own color neck scarf.Preemie blankets, and new born baby hats are good to. We have a lot of clothing drives here in winter. I also make dollie blankets for a shelter house for women as some times they leave their homes in a hurry. A child likes some thing they can keep for their own. I don`t like to donate to our local Good Will because their prices are so high when reselling. We have a resale store in a local village that I give a lot of things. The resale price is good, it`s run by volunteers, and the profits go to the school district, to keep programs that would other wise be dropped.

Most hospitals will have a charity organization that works within that hospital/hospice. If you call them, they will be able to tell you what they need, sizes, and requirements, etc. It is best to make that call before showing up with items that they can't use. There are many places that can use quilts and the gratification of giving someone a quilt that helps them feel better also will help you feel good!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    you can phone your closest church, welfare league, salvation army, base chaplain, hospitals, hospices, guilds, you name it...try to keep it as local as you can...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast