Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Planning Board >

Planning Board

Planning Board

Old 11-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Default Planning Board

I am wanting to make a planning board to better view various layouts for my projects. Is flannel the best choice to use to cover the board? Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Flannel works best for me. The different material sticks with out having to pin it.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM
amh

I am limited for space, so for my design board I purchased a plastic table cloth at the dollar store (get the one that has the flannel backing on it). I then put three grommets along the shorter side (button holes made with your sewing machine would also work, or just sew several times in a circle till it is strong). I then put 3M command adhesive hooks on the wall, hang the table cloth (plastic side toward the wall and flannel out), and there we have it.

If someone is coming over I can unhook, fold it up and put it up next time I sew.

I will admit that there are times when I wish the flannel would hold better, but it is only the bigger pieces that fall off and I have learned which ones I need to pin up, and which ones will stick.

It is inexpensive, portable and works.

You could do the same thing with hanging up a flannel sheet, I think.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 PM

I have flannel on mine and it works great.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 PM

I did something similar to amh. I bought a $3 flannel backed table cloth and put about 8 grommets along the long side and hung it using the tiny clear 3M hooks. Works great and if I need to take it down the hooks stay and they are almost invisible!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:45 PM

I use a flannel sheet and it works fine. I am going to put some button holes on it though and get the hooks for my next quilting retreat.

I also have a felt one at home. I used the cheap felt you purchase on the bolt from Joanns. It holds small pieces fine but once you start putting your blocks together I need help with pins. The kitties and the air from the air conditioner vent don't help either. I think if I would have purchased the more expensive felt, it would work better also but wanted to go cheap.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I covered 1" insulation found at any home improvement. I attached flannel onto the back using any ribbon or twine weaving it back and forth between tiny safety pins. Thus if the flannel gets dirty, it can be removed. I like using the insulation because you can use straight pins.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:57 PM

I would take some thin elastic and sew around the edge so that it is like a bed sheet and can then be taken off and washed and put back on again. real easy- no fuss. I take a stick pin if I need to hold up too large a block.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I use my bed or just lay out as many as I can on my table and pin together. I have a hard time getting them mixed up no matter how much trouble I go to. This is if I'm working with a scrappy. Patterns in a quilt book doesn't get me as mixed up, nor do I get the pieces mixed up.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 PM

These are all great ideas! Thanks for your input. I am a new member to this group and I am blown away with the wonderful ideas and cooperative spirit of everyone helping others. Quilters are awesome, and y'all are the best!!! Thanks again!