Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
plastic quilting tables >

plastic quilting tables

plastic quilting tables

Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 PM

okay here is a weird question,
I have a Janome that I am loving and am trying to get into quilting, should i get one of those clear plastic quilt table attachments or make my own? I am on the fence about this. what would you do if you were a new quilter?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 PM

If you can, make your own. It is on my list of things to do. I bought kit of sorts with my machine, but it is not large enough and not sturdy enough.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Good question ... I bought one for myself. I set it up - and go. But over time (a short time it turns out) I put too much pressure on my shoulders by elevating the table to the machine deck. I needed to sit alittle higher than a normal chair when using one. A TV show I saw had recommended a table sitting practically on your knees for ergonomic benefits. I thought the program was crazy - until my shoulders had issues. Not so crazy.

I use an old cabinet table - cut down to 28" tall - my chair is pumped high and my shoulders are better. Not perfect. If I had only listened to the expert I might be perfect - right now I am just better.

Listen to the ergonomic experts .... save your hands, shoulders etc. Best of luck in your decision!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 PM

I purchased an sew ezi table, I love it, but I couldn't make my own and the sew ezi folds and can be taken to my friends house to quilt or easily moved in front of TV, you can see it online, maybe give you an idea for yours even if you make it
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by trif
I purchased an sew ezi table, I love it, but I couldn't make my own and the sew ezi folds and can be taken to my friends house to quilt or easily moved in front of TV, you can see it online, maybe give you an idea for yours even if you make it
I have now have another thing on my long list of "needs" It actually lists that it will be able handle my sewing machine which is rare, since it is not a mainstream brand at all.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
okay here is a weird question,
I have a Janome that I am loving and am trying to get into quilting, should i get one of those clear plastic quilt table attachments or make my own? I am on the fence about this. what would you do if you were a new quilter?
I orgered the table that is 24 X 24 so I could use it with the embroidery.
Also will depend on how much you use it.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:51 AM

Making an extension table is on my list of things to do for a couple of machines.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Pam

I had a piece of plexiglass cut to size and added legs, I could not quilt without it. The bed on my machine is so tiny it is dificut to even piece on it with out the table.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 AM

I bought one and also had trouble as it elevated my arms and made my shoulders hurt. So, I bought a small folding table (at Sam's)that had adjustable legs. When set up it was either too high or too low, so DH drilled an additional set of holes so I could drop the tables about 3 or 4 inches and it was perfect. I used it for about 3 years and this year for Christmas he bought me a real sewing cabinet.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:47 AM

I bought one from Allbrands for my old Pfaff sewing machine. I love it. It's a custom fit, and it fits perfectly. If you sign up for allbrands emails, you will get a $5.00 coupon within a week or two. Free shipping too. It took quite a while to get it, but after researching the plexiglass cutting and bugging my hubby for a year, the 4 week wait was worth it.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp03522.html