Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A plea for help with a little bit of background story >

A plea for help with a little bit of background story

A plea for help with a little bit of background story

Old 03-06-2010, 06:48 PM

I don't mean to over share, but I'm hoping a sob story might increase the chances someone will take pity on me and offer up some help.

I'm 34-year-old guy whose husband died in January after 5 years with Lou Gehrig's disease. He was endlessly and uniquely creative and I miss him terribly. One of his ideas near the end of his life involved quilting. He had squares cut out and a concept fully formed before his arms stopped working. Taking care of him by myself, I didn't have the time to learn to sew. I have never sewn a single stitch and I still don't know how to sewn on a button, but I've been sewing non-stop for a week straight. I've finished up both sides of the quilt and its huge…..mammoth…..more than king size.

Now here's the deal, I need apply over one of the sides, a very large perfect circle (or at least as close to as perfect as possible). Probably 4-5 ft in diameter and 8-10 inches thick. How do I sew the cirle and then how do I sew it on top of the existing side? I'm at a loss.

Please help.

Your pal,

John
Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 PM

I understand the part of the circle diameter, but thick???? Do you have a pic of the concept you are trying to create? Have been sewing a long time, only quilting consistently for about 1-1/2, but I would be glad to help in any way I can.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 PM

John, I wish I had some idea. I can't even picture this can you send us a photo.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:01 PM

John, I sent you a PM (private message).

The thickness is what is throwing me too.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:05 PM

here's the idea in a super tiny pic. thanks for the responses.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-885.jpe  
Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 PM

John, where is the thickness coming from, if that makes sense.

So it is not a solid circle, it is open in the center like a ring?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Am I correct...The "thickness" is the width of the band, right?
If that's the case, just cut it out to whatever size you want, lay out the quilt top the floor (since it's very large) and then place the ring wherever you want it. Pin it securely and baste it in place to make sure it stays put. Then, simply stitch it in place with hand applique or machine zig zag. The key is to keep it secure so the edges dont get wonky when you're sewing it in place. I's hand baste it thoroughly. 'Hope this helps!

PS
I'm so sorry for your loss!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:13 PM

OOOOOhhhh! By thick, you mean the circle is like a donut with the center out....Ok, so once you cut the circle out and then the center out of that, you applique it on. That means you sew it on the top of what the quilt top. You could fuse it with steam a seam II and the do a zig-zag stitch around the edge to hold it down. Check out YouTube for some visuals on applique or raw edge applique. Wish I could show you, I am sure you could do it. Good luck. If there is anything else I can do I will try.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:16 PM

John, Wow do I feel like an idiot. I should have started by telling you how sorry I am for you loss. I hope working on his dream is helping you with your the loss of your husband. I can't imagine and what a wonderful thing to do for him. {{Hugs}}
Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 PM

one very important thing i stupidly left out. the circle needs to be made out of several different blue fabrics. So, i have to build that too and don't know how to cut out shapes to make a circle.

kind of a key point to leave out, no?

i'm an idiot sometimes.