Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please "Help with Batik" >

Please "Help with Batik"

Please "Help with Batik"

Old 06-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Follow common sense laundering practices with fabric too. Cold water for darks, warm for lights. It never hurts to add a color catcher. If you have a bleeder, you might try salt or vinegar to set the color. It's less expensive and chemical-ey. Read the MSDA on that Retayne: http://www.prochemical.com/MaterialS...es/Retayne.pdf Eek! Is that what's in those color catchers? I never wear my safety goggles!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chele
Follow common sense laundering practices with fabric too. Cold water for darks, warm for lights. It never hurts to add a color catcher. If you have a bleeder, you might try salt or vinegar to set the color. It's less expensive and chemical-ey. Read the MSDA on that Retayne: http://www.prochemical.com/MaterialS...es/Retayne.pdf Eek! Is that what's in those color catchers? I never wear my safety goggles!
:-( Does this stuff have a Hazardous lable on it? Doesn't it have to be safe to use if they sell it to the general public?You probably just have to be careful how you use it.Really read the directions. It seems as if quite a few quilters use it.BrendaK
Old 06-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Oh my, I just bought my first batiks to make a special quilt, spent a small fortune, after reading this I wish I wouldn't have :(

This will be the first real good fabric quilt I have ever made I would sure hate to ruin it.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Great info here.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM

I just put on the care label to wash the quilt with Color catchers until they come out close to white. I even give a baggie with a few in it with the quilt. So far, no quilts have come back and no complaints about bleeding fabric
Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by soccertxi
I just put on the care label to wash the quilt with Color catchers until they come out close to white. I even give a baggie with a few in it with the quilt. So far, no quilts have come back and no complaints about bleeding fabric
:thumbup: Thanks that's what I decided to do. I will wash the fabric again with Tetayne when I am able to purchase it. Then I will make sure that there is a label that goes with the quilt. Thanks to all for your thoughts.BrendaK
Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM

I would try Synthrapol. Synthrapol is specific to hand-dyed fabrics and batiks. Retayne is more for general cottons. :)
Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

when you finish the quilt you make with your batiks= include on the label- care instructions- to wash in cold water....problem solved=
i always include care instructions on my label for all quilts-
and yes- often batiks bleed- especially if you wash them in hot water- there is often excess dye-
retayne will set the dyes again-
Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

don't know why that double posted- sorry
Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Just Me...
I would try Synthrapol. Synthrapol is specific to hand-dyed fabrics and batiks. Retayne is more for general cottons. :)
:thumbup: Thanks I have never heard of this. I'll be sure to look into that. Better to try something that is made special for a certain kind of fabric. Thanks again to everyone, I knew that all of you would know the answer and lend me a hand. I appreciate all of you SO MUCH. Until the next time. (Hopefully not too soon.) BrendaK