Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please can I get some help >

Please can I get some help

Please can I get some help

Old 09-21-2014, 09:21 AM

You could cut them down, but I'd just go with the results being a bigger quilt. As a new quilter I admire your decision to tackle a Bargello, but you'll be fine. Just take it slow and be sure to post the beautiful results.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:11 PM

I just don't understand why everyone thinks a bargello is so hard. Sew them together, cut them up and sew together again. Nothing complicated. Sew easy and sew beautiful.
When I was 16 years old, I saw a crocheted doily that I thought was just lovely. I had never crocheted before, but asked the owner if she had a pattern for it. She gave me the pattern. It said, "Not for beginners." Well I wanted to make that doily, so I did. The first 5 or 6 rounds were really tight; I could hardly get my hook into the stitches, but I carried on and things got better. I finished it and I still have it.
Where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:49 PM

As I said in my post a ways back, they are not hard at all, but require accuracy in cutting and seaming, something the novice quilter doesn't always consider. And not everyone is as adventurous as you or I may be. I, too, have done many projects not intended for a beginner, but the poster asked for help, so help she is getting. I applaud her for the courage to try something that may be beyond her ability. You never know what you miss unless you try.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:36 PM

I wish I had done a bargello when I was new and didn't know to be afraid, now I am afraid to try one! And I do love them!
Old 09-21-2014, 07:42 PM

Having done a couple of bargello's, I think you will be disappointed if you use a 2.5" width instead of 2--the pattern will look stretched! Depending on the size you are making, you could increase the "block" (cut for each different size) by 1/2" and the pattern would stay the same--this is one way to make a larger size quilt with the same pattern. I'm wondering about your jelly roll plan though as bargellos work because of color placement being gradiants and usually your strip sets requires one of each of 15-20 fabrics. And even then you may be unsewing some colors depending on curves/twists.

Bargellos are not really hard as long as you follow the grid of the pattern. It does require paying close attention to fabric placement, lots of "unsewing"and resewing (depends on how much the pattern twists or curves), careful pressing of ALL seams and being sure that you "nest" seams in each narrow row.
To keep track of the fabric placement on the grid I suggest you make a chart with each fabric marked (either # or letters ,whichever your pattern uses) and mark off each row as you add it (with a highlighter or cover with a note card,etc). When finished, the huge # of small rows in both direction makes the top act like an accordion and little hard to get borders on right. When I got to that point (on 2nd one--wrestled the first one!) I pinned the bargello top to the mattress and THEN measured it for borders, which allowed me to get correct measurement.

Anyone wanting a bargello that is free pattern and you make in 4 quarters and then combine (like a Trip Around the World quilt) check out Jinny Beyer's website for Navaho Sunrise or Sunset.

Good luck--they are stunning quilts that look much harder than they are--and no points!