Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please can I get some help >

Please can I get some help

Please can I get some help

Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 PM

Default Please can I get some help

I am new to quilting and recently purchased a Bargello quilt pattern. In the instructions it says I need to cut 24 strips of 2 inch of each colour. I in error used a jelly roll - where my strips are 21/2 inch width - will this be a problem in my pattern or should I then cut off the 1/2 inch from each stip. I hate to do that as it will waste so much of my fabric. Thanks for any help - I will be so grateful.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:59 PM

If you use the jellyroll, your quilt will be bigger. Since I never made a bargello, that's the only help I'm able to give you. No doubt someone will come up with an answer more useful than mine!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:23 PM

That should not be a problem. Your quilt will just be bigger.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the replies - I can now start putting it together - Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 PM

If you cut strips down you could do a mini scrappy table runner. If you cut all the rows. Ie right angles to stripes same with as pattern says your quilt will end up same width but longer due to jelly roll size.

You could add 1/2" to each row cutting which would make it bigger in both directions.

Hope this makes sense . Recap as jelly roll stripes 1/2" wider need to make each opposite cut also 1/2" wider to keep pattern as seen .
If you just join jelly roll then cut opposite stripes size in pattern the whole pattern will be wider than pattern in one direction and same size in the other.
If you cut stripes down to 2" and follow pattern cuts in opposite direction as pattern then you will finish at the size of the pattern.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:59 PM

I believe you will end up with a longer quilt. After you sew the strips together the next step will be cutting the specified width of each Bargello strip so the only thing you have changed is the length of each Bargello strip. If you had say for example 10 colours to sew together your strata which in your case is the 2 1/2 " strips sewn together, would measure 20 1/2" by width of fabric and the original pattern using 2" strips the strata would be 15 1/2" by width of fabric. Therefore your overall design will be elongated. If your making a lap quilt that is say 60 " long your quilt is now going to be approximately an additional 20" longer.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 PM

Thats what I thought and if that is the case that will be fine - Longer will be no problem. Thanks to you all for helping me - why I have to try something so difficult - is typical of me!!!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:20 AM

You can use your strips. The curve/design will be slightly different as well as overall bigger, but it is a free form style anyway and will work just fine! I love bargellos!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jian View Post
- why I have to try something so difficult - is typical of me!!!
You are not alone there! My very 1st sewing project I got to pick for myself, I made a plaid wool skirt (had to match the plaid-NOT EASY) and a wool lined vest. I thought my teacher and my mom were going to strangle me! You will have fun and learn alot. This board is very helpful, so ask away if you get stuck.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:33 AM

Bargello is a bit of a difficult first project, but you have been given good advise....so just go for it.
You will have a wonderful quilt to show for it.