Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Educate Me - But Do It Gently >

Please Educate Me - But Do It Gently

Please Educate Me - But Do It Gently

Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 AM

I found some in my stash, and in comparison to my flannel, most of the fuzz is gone... but it's super soft. I mistakenly had it in my cotton stash, but now plan to use it for a throw backing...COMFY!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
I found some in my stash, and in comparison to my flannel, most of the fuzz is gone... but it's super soft. I mistakenly had it in my cotton stash, but now plan to use it for a throw backing...COMFY!
I think I found a couple of pieces in my FQ when I was doing the major refold - Is is stretchy??
Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 AM

I just called my LQS, and they said brushed cotton is like flannel on one side, very very soft, and regular fabric on the other side. The point of it is to have the flannel feel without the bulk! I do not think it has any stretch as its made from the regular fabric and just given an extra finishing treatment, but I didn't ask about elasticity.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

I thought it was flannel on one side and cotton on the other. I might be wrong but that was my understanding.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:10 PM

I own flannel sheets and brushed cotton sheets. Really, the brushed cotton is less fuzzy, if that makes sense. It is quite smooth and soft. The flannel is fuzzier, and seems more inclined to pill over time. The flannel seems thicker and warmer. I'm not sure if that helps from a definition perspective!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:32 PM

I recently read something (not sewing or quilting related) from the 19th century, and at that time, "flannel" was made of wool, and a similar fabric made of cotton was known as "flannelette". I agree with Shelley, flannel tends to pill, whereas brushed cotton does not, but I can't define them properly. I'm anxious for a definitive answer.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:22 PM

I bought a brushed cotton FQ bundle from moda. It's soft like flannel but definitly thinner. It's not reversible. I made a small baby quilt with it and even with batting and a flannel backing, it's not bulky. I think the appellation must be related to the treatment process.