Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Please Explain Stack & Whack

I know this is a dumb ? but can someone tell me what is a stack and whack and why do they call it that.

JJs
    Banned
    You cut identical strips of fabric - the length depends on the repeat of the design...
    Now you have strips of fabric all alike and depending on the pattern you are using, you then stack these identical strips into a 'stack' - 4, 6, or 8 (elements)
    you pin or baste these stacks so they don't move around, lining up the designs so that each one matches down through the pile...
    Now you cut out your pieces - wedges, or diamonds, or squares, 4/6/8 at a time and each one makes one square...
    so when they are sewn they made a kaleidoscope affect..
    oh, I guess they call it that because you "stack" the fabric then "whack" out all the pieces at once... I guess

Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    You cut identical strips of fabric - the length depends on the repeat of the design...
    Now you have strips of fabric all alike and depending on the pattern you are using, you then stack these identical strips into a 'stack' - 4, 6, or 8 (elements)
    you pin or baste these stacks so they don't move around, lining up the designs so that each one matches down through the pile...
    Now you cut out your pieces - wedges, or diamonds, or squares, 4/6/8 at a time and each one makes one square...
    so when they are sewn they made a kaleidoscope affect..
    Thank u very much now I understand Thanks

Thank you for asking.

Blog Entries
    i've done some four patch "posies" quilt blocks this way. squares cut from strips cut from four layers of fabrics that were matched with pins in certain designs, flowers, leaves, or what other print. it's very easy and fun.

four patch posies
    Name:  Attachment-93833.jpe
Views: 125
Size:  114.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    i've done some four patch "posies" quilt blocks this way. squares cut from strips cut from four layers of fabrics that were matched with pins in certain designs, flowers, leaves, or what other print. it's very easy and fun.
    wow that is awesome. Thank u for showing it I have seen so many beautiful quilts on here done in the stack and whack and just not know how it was done. So now I thank I can give it a try Wish me luck all.

Very beautiful posy blocks!

Blog Entries
    For a fun to read tutorial, check out http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/Quilts/Tutorial/

The author took a lot of pictures during a class she took.