Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help with fabric creases >

Please help with fabric creases

Please help with fabric creases

Old 04-14-2015, 05:04 PM

Default Please help with fabric creases

My mom is giving me an applique quilting kit that has never been removed from the package. This has been packaged for 20 yrs. What tricks do you know of to remove the fold lines? I'm afraid having been folded that long the fold creases are not going to come out easy.
Thanks
Tammyd
Old 04-14-2015, 05:43 PM

Just a guess, but maybe you could wet the folds ... lay the pieces out flat and let them air dry. Or you might spray the pieces with water and put them in the dryer for a few minutes. I would try one piece at a time to see what actually works. Just a thought. Also, seems like I recall white vinegar will take out creases (you may wan to Google that first).
Old 04-14-2015, 05:45 PM

Try water/white vinegar (equal portions)....in a bowl. Dip in a rag (fab remnant) and wring out. Lay the rag on the fold and steam press. -- PRESS, don't iron.

If that doesn't work, try some spray sizing from the grocery store.....I find mine at a Walmart type store.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:05 PM

On this webpage, someone mentioned that moistening the fabric, then freezing it, before ironing could help take out the wrinkles. NOTE: I have not tried this.

http://www.cross-stitch-board.com/fo...arks-in-fabric

The quote from the page: Another way to get out stubborn creases in the fabric is to dampen it and place it in the freezer, then thaw it and iron it. I remember when I way young my mom would freeze my step-father's Navy uniforms before ironing them. I think it has something to do with the water expanding when frozen pushes the fibers of the fabric apart, removing creases.

Later down the page Granny Agnes replied: This may be unconventional but a tried and true trick adapted from the almost dark ages. Mother, and Grandmother before her, would dampen a cloth in vinegar to press the seam into the men's pants. I took that and worked it in reverse. I half fill a spray bottle with water, fill it with white vinegar and spray this on those difficult creases. Let it sit a few minutes and press with a hot iron. I started with the vinegar full strength--yes, it smelled like the pickle factory, and worked with dilutions. Half and Half has never failed me so now the squirt bottle is a fixture at my pressing and cutting station. I need to clarify that I am a quilter and it works for those hard creases from fabric being on bolts.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:31 PM

Downey Wrinkle Releaser works really well on stubborn creases and it smells great. I can't find it in Canada but DD brought it back from the U.S. for me. Both Target and Walmart carried it at $5.97 a bottle.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
Try water/white vinegar (equal portions)....in a bowl. Dip in a rag (fab remnant) and wring out. Lay the rag on the fold and steam press. -- PRESS, don't iron.

If that doesn't work, try some spray sizing from the grocery store.....I find mine at a Walmart type store.
The vinegar/water mixture would be my suggestion as well.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

Is the background one big piece? If so I would wash and dry the background fabric. If it is all in pieces then you will need to work with them as is or they will fray. I would iron the pieces with spray starch or Best Press.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:05 AM

Back when I was lengthening clothing, I learned that rubbing an ice cube along the crease and then pressing was the best way to remove even 'washed in' creases. You might try that with your kit. Be sure to check for fade lines along the folds, too.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:19 AM
dd

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
Downey Wrinkle Releaser works really well on stubborn creases and it smells great. I can't find it in Canada but DD brought it back from the U.S. for me. Both Target and Walmart carried it at $5.97 a bottle.
You can get the same thing at Family Dollar for much less. I have even tried making my own with fabric softener and water. Didn't work as well. Think I'll just get mine from FD from now on. I think it's like $2 but wouldn't swear to that.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Have you washed the fabric or maybe soak it over night?? I would then line dry it.