Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me with a barn quilt >

Please help me with a barn quilt

Please help me with a barn quilt

Old 02-22-2014, 04:13 AM

Default Please help me with a barn quilt

After showing my husband pictures of barn quilts he now wants me to make one to hang over our big red barn doors. I will design the block and he will even help me paint it, but the problem is, he isn't sure what material it should be made of - I suggested exterior plywood but he said that warps and will peel, which is correct, it is designed to go under exterior sheeting and finish siding. Short of steel, what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance, love all the help I find here!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:50 AM

Exterior plywood will be fine if you border it. My neighbor took regular plank lumber and sawed it to the width he wanted and put a border on the quilt block front and back, although just the front would have been fine. He also sealed the plywood after painting with several coats of exterior sealer.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-22-2014 at 06:20 AM. Reason: remove copyright picture
Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 AM

Im originally from MI and the Barn Quilts seem to be rapidly spreading north from other Midwest states. There is a small company in Zeeland called Gables End Barn Quilts owned by Sue Vandis. Don't know her or the business- have no connection, but if you contact her she may be able to offer you the right advice for your area.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

The barn where my Grandfather grew up is still standing in Kansas. I have a watercolor painting of the barn that his BIL painted. I think the info that dakotamaid posted is correct. That is why it is called "exterior" Sounds like a fun project. Because of EB book about Quilts on Barn, there should be info on the internet available. There are even tours!! Good Luck !! Something to look forward to doing in Spring !!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 AM

Thanks for this post. We moved to rural Ontario last year and my DH has a workshop where he removed a huge window. It is the perfect spot for a barn quilt- even though it is a motorcycle shop. This is on my project list for Spring. Now to decide on a pattern.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I looked into it once. There's a product called MDO Signboard that was suggested.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:31 AM

Looks like lots of interesting articles on google. If you click on some of the images as well, they lead to blogs that might give you more hints too. Have fun and love to see it when it's completed. https://www.google.ca/search?q=how+t...GQAQ&gws_rd=cr
Old 02-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Silly ? but why not paint it right on the barn? This is how it was done in the good old days, like hex signs. Prime the spot where you want it and then go for it.
peace
Old 02-23-2014, 04:34 AM

ube quilting, it is going over our sliding doors where I let the horses out so I would need about a 28 foot ladder. I spent enough time on ladders with the fire department so that doesn't sound like much fun, plus it would mean moving the ladder quite often. If I could use our 100' bucket that would work! The barn is steel so it would be painting over the ribs which might add to the trickiness to have lines look straight. Don't I sound too lazy to do that? As is hubby is going to have to get a team of his buddies to hang the quilt.

Thanks for the ideas, I will look into the MDO board and contact the company recommended. Love your help!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for answering my silly ? I really did forget that a barn may not be made of wood and can be very big. A 100'bucket sounds like fun to me! I have been in one up to 40'. Better than any carnival ride!

Please post pictures when your huge project is complete. I would love to see the installation.
peace