Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please, help me with colors and values >

Please, help me with colors and values

Please, help me with colors and values

Old 02-11-2016, 06:33 PM

Default Please, help me with colors and values

Dear friends,

I want to use some 'not so pretty' fabrics of my stash (numbers 1 and 2 in the picture). I'm trying to find a good combination for them... I added some other fabrics and finally came with this, but I'm not sure if there's something wrong with it.

Is there any fabric that you would pull out? Maybe number 10? Or any colour I must add?

I attach the same picture in blacks and whites. I think there's a lot of mediums and it would probably need some darker fabric, but it's difficult for me to find something matching. I'm lost... I need your eyes!

The quilt I'm planning will be nine patches with white sashing. Fabric number 1 will be the backing too (I have a lot of yardage of this).

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Probably I can't answer until tomorrow night... sorry for this.
Attached Thumbnails telas-rosa-menta.jpg   telas-blanco-negro.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 06:49 PM

I don't think #10 works either. I personally would try and find another grey fabric or white with pink pokadots. I do love your color choices.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:58 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

You are so right about all the mediums, with the one exception of #5.
The easiest way to find "some darks" and even some lights in this case, might be to take small snips of the colors in your fabrics to Lowes or Home Depot and visit the paint department. Use the chip cards to match your colors and then note the colors (plural!) on the cards that are above and below YOUR colors. These cards are free and you can take a few home with you.

Remember that pink is a value of red. There is a very pale pink and a quite dark deep rose. The same holds true with your green. Once you begin laying your fabric beside other values of your chosen colors you will begin to see how you can add more if you wish.

I urge you to "just do it"! It will help you with projects to come as well.

And, if all else fails, google "green and rose (or pink) quilts" for some ideas.
https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...30.Ek83iokrI3c
Good luck, you've got this!!

Jan in VA
Old 02-11-2016, 07:01 PM

I wouldn't use number 10.

like all the fabric
Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 PM

I would pull out #10 as well, the rest are great together. You have lights and mediums. If you wanted to add darks, look first to dark gray, and then perhaps audition a navy color which I think might also work well with your collection.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:44 PM

think you are right about #10--too blue for your teals. I think you need a couple of very darks--maybe a very dark rose--or a dark gray print with teal and rose? Otherwise I like where you're going.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:51 PM

Agree with the others about #10. All the rest "play" beautifully together! It'd be great if you could find another fabric in addition to #12 that has most of the shades of the greens and pinks on a white background.
Can't wait to see what you make!
Kif
Old 02-11-2016, 08:30 PM

I actually like #10; I think it keeps the group from being too matchy-matchy. If I cover up #10 with a finger, the group seems less interesting.

#6, 7 and 11 are darker than the others, so I think all you would need would be a very dark and another light. I agree that navy might be a good way to go for the dark, or a darker gray.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I agree, take #10 out. I myself would remove the grey too. Remember, you are making 9 patch blocks so look at the fabric with what the size of the square of the 9 patch will be.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:23 AM

I don't like the color of #10, but I do like the scope of it. I agree that it keeps the others from looking too matchy.

Maybe something in a similar print/scope but a better (darker) color?

The others are good together colorwise, but they're too much the same pattern wise. 6 polka dots is a lot. What about a dark tone on tone something?

#2 and #6 are a nice combination colorwise, but they seem too much the same in the style and size of their print. Do you have another fabric in that dark pink that could work?

What about some tone on tones? Actually I'd take #12 out, and add a complex floral.

Right now there isn't any one fabric that "anchors" it. And there's no "wow" fabric, one that makes you smile.

Good luck! Have fun auditioning fabrics!