Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Please Help with Trip Around the World

  1. #1
    Super Member cmagee84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Posts
    1,478
    Blog Entries
    1

    Red face Please Help with Trip Around the World

    I need to make a "Trip around the World" quilt using 9 fabrics to represent 9 countries. I plan to use Bonnie Hunter's wonderful tutorial on Quiltville.com. However, I feel cutting the strips at 4" is too wide! I am picturing the fabric repeating several times over instead of just one row of each color in each quadrant. Does that make sense? How do I choose a smaller width and know how much fabric to buy and how many repeats I will have for the size I want? 2" seems too small, but 3" might work for a 2 1/2" finished strip. So someone PLEASE, PLEASE do the math for me!!! whine, whine! I hate math!!!

    The quilt needs to be about 84 x 98, which includes borders. The names of the countries will be embroidered in the borders.

    Sounds like I need to break down and buy EQ7!!!

    Thanks!
    The Purple Quilter
    Purple is not just a color, it is a way of life!

  2. #2
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,770
    Quote Originally Posted by cmagee84 View Post
    I need to make a "Trip around the World" quilt using 9 fabrics to represent 9 countries. I plan to use Bonnie Hunter's wonderful tutorial on Quiltville.com. However, I feel cutting the strips at 4" is too wide! I am picturing the fabric repeating several times over instead of just one row of each color in each quadrant. Does that make sense? How do I choose a smaller width and know how much fabric to buy and how many repeats I will have for the size I want? 2" seems too small, but 3" might work for a 2 1/2" finished strip. So someone PLEASE, PLEASE do the math for me!!! whine, whine! I hate math!!!

    The quilt needs to be about 84 x 98, which includes borders. The names of the countries will be embroidered in the borders.

    Sounds like I need to break down and buy EQ7!!!

    Thanks!
    Graph paper's cheaper and they have it at Wal-Mart.

  3. #3
    Super Member CoyoteQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,306
    Not sure if this will help or not, but Quilter's Calc says you will need 8.25 yards of fabric for the top, 9 1/3 for backing, 3/4 for binding. Just not sure how to work the magic for each color.....

  4. #4
    Super Member cmagee84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Posts
    1,478
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
    Not sure if this will help or not, but Quilter's Calc says you will need 8.25 yards of fabric for the top, 9 1/3 for backing, 3/4 for binding. Just not sure how to work the magic for each color.....
    That follows what Bonnie has on her site to buy 1 yard of each fabric. So that is one step closer! Thanks so much. Hopefully I will get at least two repeats to make it look good.
    The Purple Quilter
    Purple is not just a color, it is a way of life!

  5. #5
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    19,227
    I would work it out on graph paper. You are going to need more and less of some fabrics as the rows get bigger around the quilt. If you can repeat some of the smaller inner rounds further out, that will help. I did one once and you need a lot of certain colours as you get near the outside round. I had to buy more and wished I'd worked it out first. Good luck.

  6. #6
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    15
    Here is an EQ pic without the full coloring. It uses your 2 1/2" finished size blocks and a 5" border. It comes out to 80x95". It has 28x34 blocks. You can adjust it as you will
    Name:  trip around the world 80x95.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  224.8 KB
    Nancy in western NY

  7. #7
    Super Member cmagee84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Posts
    1,478
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Here is an EQ pic without the full coloring. It uses your 2 1/2" finished size blocks and a 5" border. It comes out to 80x95". It has 28x34 blocks. You can adjust it as you will
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! Thank looks wonderful! I will be able to print and use that! I can't thank you enough!!! Quilting friends are THE BEST!
    The Purple Quilter
    Purple is not just a color, it is a way of life!

  8. #8
    Super Member SouthPStitches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Plymouth, NY
    Posts
    2,127
    I have made 4 trips around the world, but used Eleanor Burns pattern "Quick Trip". It was super easy and came together unbelievably fast.

  9. #9
    Super Member cmagee84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Posts
    1,478
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    I have made 4 trips around the world, but used Eleanor Burns pattern "Quick Trip". It was super easy and came together unbelievably fast.
    Is her pattern available by itself or only in a book? Bonnie's instructions seem fairly easy. What size strips did you cut?
    The Purple Quilter
    Purple is not just a color, it is a way of life!

  10. #10
    Super Member SouthPStitches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So Plymouth, NY
    Posts
    2,127
    Quote Originally Posted by cmagee84 View Post
    Is her pattern available by itself or only in a book? Bonnie's instructions seem fairly easy. What size strips did you cut?
    The book contains only the quick trip and variations thereof. Let me check my quilt room tomorrow for the book and I'll look up the strip width

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.