Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Please reassure me about basting spray

Western Wisconsin
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs
    I've never tried spray basting.
    Does it just dissapate? Why is it good to use? I guess that 505 stuff is best, does it have a brand name? Do you breathe it? Are these silly questions?
    Some of the sprays are best used outdoors or with excellent ventilation. I think it's the 505 that people say doesn't have that strong toxic odor. It's only while spraying that there is a problem. Once the quilt is sandwiched, I haven't noticed any residual odor. The basting adhesive is water-soluble so is gone with the first washing of the quilt.

One way to use it is on a large quilt is to spread out a sheet first on the ground. That catches any overspray and can be just thrown in the wash. On a smaller quilt, you can just tape the backing to a kitchen island and insert old newspaper around the edges to catch overspray.

Basting spray is good to use because it's fast -- takes much less time than other basting methods -- and easy. For someone like me who has a bad back and bad knnes, it is a lifesaver. Also, I once ruined an expensive walking foot when it got hung up on a safety pin in my quilt; would have saved me money if I had spray-basted that quilt!

AZ and CT
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    As long as the spray is a good quality one, you shouldn't have any problems.

I use spray baste, then pin just the outside border to make sure it doesn't shift. And if any looks like it's coming loose, run a hot iron over it and it "re sets" the glue.

Once you've used it, you'll never go back!

Ditto, JoanneS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3