Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Please reassure me about basting spray

In the next couple of days I should be ready to baste a quilt. I am going to machine quilt it, so it will be manipulated quite a bit feeding it through the throat of my machine. I have a can of basting spray that has just been sitting for months. If I use the spray, will it hold through all the handling I will be doing? The fabric, backing and batting are all cotton, if that matters. Should I do some safety pin basting anyways?

I spray baste and then pin too. I just want to make sure it isn't going to shift. Elaine

As long as the spray is a good quality one, you shouldn't have any problems.

I use spray baste, then pin just the outside border to make sure it doesn't shift. And if any looks like it's coming loose, run a hot iron over it and it "re sets" the glue.

Once you've used it, you'll never go back!

:-)

I've only ever used spray for basting - I use 505, mainly because it's the only one I can get, but it has good reviews from other quilters here. I've never had a problem with spray basting, things have not shifted despite lots of 'shoving' the quilt in and out of the sewing machine. If you do a search for 'spray basting' there are lots of threads about it, you may pick up some helpful hints!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the post. I had the same question and am going to try it this weekend. Honestly, I am nervous. I may do some pinning too.

Blog Entries
    I love using spray baste! Occasionally, I re-spray any loose edges before I do the binding if it's come loose, but usually I don't have to. I can't imagine going back to hand basting, and I'm not too keen on the safety pins. I think that's because I'm impatient and would rather spend my time quilting than basting.

I've tried a couple of different brands and am happier with the June Taylor one over the Dritz. Each store carries different ones. Those are what I can get locally.

I love the spray and use it all the time and I might pin the ends a bit just because I do get that 1 itty bitty pucker. :lol: But I love that stuff I hate crawling around on my hands and knees pinning the fabric together.

Can't wait to see the quilt

I have spray basting various size projects including full size quilts and had no problem with it. I do agree with the others that it is also good to add a few quilters safety pins in the quilt for good measure.

Blog Entries
    I spray and then pin, but I've been down that wrinkle on the back road before and I don't get along with the frog very well...

Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    I spray baste and then pin too. I just want to make sure it isn't going to shift. Elaine
    Me too. I also use 505 spray, I've tried others and they just don't stick for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast