Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please share your applique tips ( Steam & Seam) >

Please share your applique tips ( Steam & Seam)

Please share your applique tips ( Steam & Seam)

Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Gal

I am having a go at machine applique using 'Steam & Seam' rather than with Vlysafix (sp) which I never was all that happy with. This new stuff feels much firmer, I am about to give it a test run this evening, any tips from you applique experts would be very much appreciated, what to do and what not to do etc, I am new to this method but I am ok on the hand needle turn method. Many thanks!

Gal
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM

I like the Lite Steam a Seam 2. It's a bit softer and I'm always happy with the results.

Tips - If you have a large piece to applique, cut out the center of the fusible, leaving 1/2" or so around the edges. It will be more like hand applique feeling when you are done. I use Stitch & Tear stabilizer on the back when I stitch - usually blanket stitch - then tear it away after. It keeps the stitches from puckering. If your needle gets gummed up, alcohol will help remove it.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM

I used some sale stuff from Joanne's but the finished block feels hard under the applique. Now I'm using plain old cheap dollar store school glue, ironed on and then stitched around the edge with a tight zig zag. Then the glue washes out and the block is just as soft as if I had never used the glue!!

I've never used any other of the iron on stuff so never knew much about different ones. My Grandma taught me to sew, she never had any of that stuff, she used old magazines that folks gave us, also Montgomery Wards catalogs to cut out her templates.
Sure wish I had her old treadle machine now!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 PM

I have only ever used the Steam a Seam Lite and have not had any problems with the needle gumming up.
I have also used the vliesofix without any problems, if anything it sometimes seems to unstick itself before I finished sewing so I hit it again with iron and that fixes it.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Gal

Interesting you mention 'Lite' I did not know that it comes in different weights, I shall look into that, I also did not think of it gumming up my machine, So much to learn! I am going to give my test block a real going over, washing ironing etc really beat it up and see what happens. I do not want to go to all that trouble in my quilt which I shall be hand quilting if it won't stand up! Good tip Katie about cutting the center out, I would not have thought about that!

Gal
Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 PM

I like to starch my block very stiff before I applique. It seems to help the block keep its shape. I also cut the block 1/2 inch oversize so if it does get wonky I can trim it up.

As mentioned before, larger pieces have a nicer feel if you don't use Steam a Seam all over it.

Steam a Seam will work and do it's job just fine, but in general I prefer the Eleanor Burns method using light weight fusible interfacing to turn the edges under. I seem to get a nicer feel to the project that way.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Gal
I am having a go at machine applique using 'Steam & Seam' rather than with Vysafix which I never was all that happy with. This new stuff feels much firmer, I am about to give it a test run this evening, any tips from you applique experts would be very much appreciated, what to do and what not to do etc, I am new to this method but I am OK on the hand needle turn method. Many thanks!

Gal
Make sure you press it properly or the applique pieces will come unstuck at the wrong time. Especially the thin points, they always seem to life on me. I am doing my version of Baltimore Bliss and am have trouble with those tiny pieces and points.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gal
Interesting you mention 'Lite' I did not know that it comes in different weights, I shall look into that, I also did not think of it gumming up my machine, So much to learn! I am going to give my test block a real going over, washing ironing etc really beat it up and see what happens. I do not want to go to all that trouble in my quilt which I shall be hand quilting if it won't stand up! Good tip Katie about cutting the center out, I would not have thought about that!

Gal
I accidentally grabbed the regular weight pkg. when attaching a quilt label once. I was just putting it along the edges, keeping the center soft. The label was white. When it was done, I could see shading where the adhesive was. There wasn't much, I only did 1/2" around the edges. But it bugged me seeing the shading. Probably wouldn't be noticed by anyone else though. Just me being picky!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:47 AM

best friend wooden stiletto[used to cook meat cubes on]+needle down helps hold it down at turns
Old 01-28-2011, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

i hope you bought the steam a seam lite ...the other stuff is a no-sew fusable and is very very stiff and about impossible to get a needle though and it will gum up the needle if you do manage to sew it.
it is good to 'window' the fusable that way you have alot less stiffness...windowing means you copy your shapes onto the paper backed fusable, then before fusing it to your fabric you cut the inside out...leaving between 1/4" & 1/2" to fuse onto the fabric. (visit fon's and porters web site they have a tutorial showing how to do this...i think Sewing with Nancy also has a tutorial on it.