Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please stop me from dreaming.... >

Please stop me from dreaming....

Please stop me from dreaming....

Old 12-26-2009, 07:06 AM

I agree with all the comments. I recently made 9 doll quilts for a church bazaar sale. I priced them at $20 to $25 since that is an American Doll quilt price on line. The only two that sold were ones (of five) that I also included a sleeve and hanging rod so they could be a wall hanging. Granted this was only for 10 hours of selling total, but we sold about 80 % or more of the other soft goods on the table. I am always able to sell quilted purses, totes, table runners, etc. quite easily, but price them just barely covering fabric costs. These profits go to the church anyway, the actual costs are a donation.

Like many others, the sewing and creating are the means for me to get paid in hours of enjoyment. I do this to enjoy the process and any extra is a bonus! ( in my case, fundraising for the church.)

P.S. Maybe we also need to think of this leisure time activity for what it is and not feel a need to justify the expense - those who golf, play tennis, do woodworking, have a sporty or antique car, sail a boat, (fill in the blank______)etc. don't seem to feel a need to justify the investment of time and money. We may need to relax a bit and just enjoy!
Old 12-26-2009, 07:17 AM

You are so right Fabric=fun - I do need to just think of this as my hobby. Unfortunately when time & money are so limited I do drift to trying to find a way to profit somehow, but I think this needs to just stay a fun pursuit. Wonderful comments! All what I needed to hear. :thumbup:
Old 12-26-2009, 07:35 AM

I have some several quilt over the years. We had a small photo business in town and I was to stay in our shop for walk in business. I told my husband that only way I would tend the shop is if I could sew and display my quilts.
I didn't make a living from my quilts, but was able to sell 10-12 quilts a year (about the limit I was able to produce) and lots of little quilted items.
I'm contemplating trying to sell some of my quilts I have on hand on Itsy.
I would say dream on maybe you will discover a little nitch some where you can display and sell.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:36 AM

I agree it's hard to get what we feel is fair value for our quilts. An option to this would be to make it, photograph it, then give it to a charity and take the tax deduction based on what you feel is fair. That way someone will get the enjoyment of your creation who didn't have the means to purchase it (making it even more valuable to them) and probably really had the need for it and you won't have to wonder whether the final recipient who received it as a gift from the purchaser decided to line dog's crate with it. (Wow - that was a long sentence. Sorry. Still shell-shocked from yesterday.)