Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please tell me about your INNOVA!  :) >

Please tell me about your INNOVA! :)

Please tell me about your INNOVA! :)

Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 AM

Default Please tell me about your INNOVA! :)

Ok I'm back - more questions!!! I'm really swooning over an Innova right now and I'm just looking for thoughts and comments from those of you who have one. I know Charisma is quilting on an Innova as I've been drooling over her beautiful work for a long time now.

Can you use any kind of thread on the Innova the way you can with the Handi Quilter?

Also - micro handles - I'm kind of assuming this is something I'm going to have to have to do detailed quilting - what do you think? Is that true?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I have an Innova and I know only too well how easy it is to swoon over them. I bought the dealer's demo model. I do not have micro handles and I would say I have done some pretty detailed quilting. The beauty of micro handles is you can always add them way far down the road. You don't need to have them put on at the factory or anything like that. Some people have just adjusted where their regular handles are.

Mine has taken any thread I have thrown at her. I only had issues with Superior Rainbow thread and that was only because my tension was too high (that thread doesn't like much tension). My favorite threads to work with are Glide and Isocord. But I have used Bottom line, sew fine, king tut, Rainbows, Highlights all from Superior, YLI, Connecting threads essential pro (their poly) and their essential cotton. I have even used some serger thread my MIL picked up at a yard sale with no issues. So I would say you can use ANY thread on an Innova.

When I was purchasing I almost got an HQ until I test drove the Innova and that was all she wrote.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

I agree with feline fanatic. I do have the micro handles, and I use them, but it probably depends on how you quilt. You may find that you don't need them, or you want the clip-on handles instead. I've sewn with a variety of threads, including water soluble thread (Vanish) from Superior. That one worked great, until one day I was having trouble with breakage. I decided it was because I had misted the quilt backing to get the wrinkles out - duh! - and the **water soluble** thread was getting wet - and dissolving.

I am extremely pleased with the help I've received from Innova when I had any problem or question. I'm happy to know that I can add just about anything to the machine after purchase (the lightning stitch is the only thing that is more costly to add later) and install it myself. I'm also really impressed with the company's recent new products, the Pantovision and Navigator.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM

Thank you that is very helpful!! Now do you get the clip on handles directly from Innova or do you get those from another source? That might be a good option if I decide I want them. I know when I tested the HQ there was no way I could have gained enough control from the handles as they were to do anything small. I am thinking Innova is supposed to be at the Sewing Expo in Cleveland in March and I'm hoping to test it out there.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 PM

So far, Innova is my favorite out of all the machines I've test driven. I want one!!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
So far, Innova is my favorite out of all the machines I've test driven. I want one!!
Me too!!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
Thank you that is very helpful!! Now do you get the clip on handles directly from Innova or do you get those from another source? That might be a good option if I decide I want them. I know when I tested the HQ there was no way I could have gained enough control from the handles as they were to do anything small. I am thinking Innova is supposed to be at the Sewing Expo in Cleveland in March and I'm hoping to test it out there.
There's a set of clip-on handles listed on the Innova site. There may be others available. You could probably get more information from one of the Innova yahoo groups.
http://innovalongarm.com/shop/accessories.html
Old 01-05-2013, 07:19 PM

OK! Here's another question for you all - in the pictures on the Innova site it doesn't look like there is anywhere to put your roll of batting - is that right??? Your batting just hangs on the ground??