Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Points >

Old 09-22-2012, 12:58 PM

Default Points

I'm working on a pattern with a bunch of 2 1/2" squares. I'm having trouble getting my points to line up. Any tips?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

First are they cut accurately? Do you sew a series of 2 patches first? If so, sew the seam, then press and make sure the edges line up. If you start with them a little bit off, it will only get worse. If you can press the seams in opposite directions, that helps to nest them. Use pins or glue. Not sure what your pattern looks like, but I have better luck if I piece in smaller square chunks rather than long strips.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
First are they cut accurately? Do you sew a series of 2 patches first? If so, sew the seam, then press and make sure the edges line up. If you start with them a little bit off, it will only get worse. If you can press the seams in opposite directions, that helps to nest them. Use pins or glue. Not sure what your pattern looks like, but I have better luck if I piece in smaller square chunks rather than long strips.
Yes, they line up perfectly with each other. I sew a row of 4, then attached those 4 rows in a block of 4x4. I do 5 times, then sew the 5 blocks together to make a row. I tried to use pins, but the blocks are so small I couldn't feed them into my machine without getting poked. I'm working on a pattern than a fellow QB wrote. I'm testing it for her.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:16 PM

You can put double sided scotch tape on them before you sew and that will hold them in place. Put it lower than you seam line so you don't sew through it.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
Yes, they line up perfectly with each other. I sew a row of 4, then attached those 4 rows in a block of 4x4. I do 5 times, then sew the 5 blocks together to make a row. I tried to use pins, but the blocks are so small I couldn't feed them into my machine without getting poked. I'm working on a pattern than a fellow QB wrote. I'm testing it for her.
Sounds like you are going about the assembly right. Are you alternating the pressing of your seams? The first row of 4 press to the left, then next, press to the right etc., regardless of the light/dark fabric placement. I think you still need to secure it before you sew. If you are having problems with pins, I'd try the glue
Old 09-22-2012, 04:14 PM

This was just on Fons and Porter today. Liz Porter was the guest and Mary Fons was the host. Liz showed Mary a trick. She said make sure the top seam is pointed towards the machine and the bottom seam pointing towards you. That way the machine pushes the seams together forming a perfect point. She had Mary sew several together in chain piecing and all the points were perfectly snug together. They were sewing little four patches.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
She said make sure the top seam is pointed towards the machine and the bottom seam pointing towards you. That way the machine pushes the seams together forming a perfect point. She had Mary sew several together in chain piecing and all the points were perfectly snug together. They were sewing little four patches.
I'm having trouble picturing this. Could you explain more?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 PM

When you sew the four patch, have the raw edges of the seam on the top facing away from your body and the raw edges of the underneath seam facing your body. The machine pushes the top against the bottom one and the seams butt nicely making a perfect corner. Are you pressing all seams before they are crossed with another? My mother used to say'You sew with your iron, talking about apparel, but I think it applies to quilting, too.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:01 PM

I agree with all these suggestions...I pin before and after the intersection using very fine silk pins. I sew very carefully over the pins. I never have any problems using this method.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
When you sew the four patch, have the raw edges of the seam on the top facing away from your body and the raw edges of the underneath seam facing your body. The machine pushes the top against the bottom one and the seams butt nicely making a perfect corner. Are you pressing all seams before they are crossed with another? My mother used to say'You sew with your iron, talking about apparel, but I think it applies to quilting, too.
Yes, I'm pressing all seams, alternating from pressed to the right on one row and pressed to the right on the row below it. I must be slow tonight. I'm still not picturing your method. How do you have seams going back and front, rather than side to side?