Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: polar fleece for rag quilt?

polar fleece for rag quilt?

I have a lot of polar fleece left over from all the bath robes I made for Christmas presents and I was wondering if I could use it to make a quilt by sewing it in blocks like a rag quilt. I know it will not fray on the ends after it is sewed together but do you think it would look ok?

anyone know any other way to use the left overs, I hate to throw it away and have some big pieces left.I would like to make use out of it. It is all different prints and colors I made 10 robes so have lots of large pieces left over..Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't see why you couldn't use it to make a quilts with. You could piece some pieces together and make some blankets for your local animal shelter. Ours is always asking for fleece blankets for the animals.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

QM
    It won't do the same sort of fringing as flannel, but should work just fine. Also, I have used scraps to applique animal outlines on baby quilts.

I use pieces to make hats and scarves for kids. You can use the smaller scraps to stuff a pillow.

Blog Entries
    It will be more like fringe than fuzzed, but the fringe will curl slightly and look good. I would make the fringe at least 3/4 to an inch long. 1/2" might look stubby. I've done pillows like that. I didn't the knots like the knotted blankets, so I just made a fringe.

I've made a ton of rag quilts using fleece. I have done both 1 layer and 2 layer. If I do a 2 layer, I don't add an "inside" piece like you would if you were doing a flannel rag quilt. I do sew the X on each 2 layer square/rectangle when doing a 2 layer quilt. I cut the fringe even though I know it won't "rag" but fringing it, I think, adds to the look of the fleece. Here's a couple pictures of ones I've done.
    Attached Images Attached Images   Click to view large image   
    Chocolate is the Answer. Who cares what the question is.

lalaland I love your quilts you made out of left over polar fleece ...now I have some ideas of things to make ..thanks everyone