Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polar Notions for fabric storage? >

Polar Notions for fabric storage?

Polar Notions for fabric storage?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
I started out with Polar Notions. They are nice, but pricey. After that I went with comic book boards. The are acid free and you can get 100 for $10. Overall I have to say I really prefer the comic book boards. They hold the fabric nicely and the big plus - they aren't as thick so you don't lose shelf space. It adds up when you start thinking about it. I thought about buying some of the other ideas mentioned but I just really didn't want to spend the time cutting them to size. This just works for me.
I don't have experience with Polar Notions but I agree totally with you regarding comic boards. in my experience they have worked beyond my expectations. I fold 2+ yards and can get up to 6 yards easily on a board...someone suggested using 2 boards for larger yardage.

I have to admit we live in a low humidity area so my experience with comic boards is prefaced on that should humidity be a concern.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM

Default Polar Notions/comic book boards

What are Polar Boards and Comic book Boards?

I started out with Polar Notions. They are nice, but pricey. After that I went with comic book boards. The are acid free and you can get 100 for $10. Overall I have to say I really prefer the comic book boards. They hold the fabric nicely and the big plus - they aren't as thick so you don't lose shelf space. It adds up when you start thinking about it. I thought about buying some of the other ideas mentioned but I just really didn't want to spend the time cutting them to size. This just works for me.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Polar Notions plastic storage sheets: www.polarnotions.com/Buy_Now_.html

A thread in the For Sale area for easy core storage: http://www.quiltingboard.com/items-s...g-t176075.html

Looks like for similar size, the Polar Notions brand is only $2.50 more, but then add another $12.50 shipping... :\

I hadn't seen this thread before, and just yesterday ordered the easy core boards from MILate. Of course, I now need to buy a bookcase or two...
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM

I have put my fabric on File Folders from Office Depot. I fold down the tab and tape the beginning of the fabric onto the folder. Then I put it on my shelf. It's a really inexpensive way to store my fabric.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:30 PM

I use comic book boards in the 9x12 size. There's a collector's supply store here in town so they're easy to get. Acid free is extremely important. My favorite quilt shop uses the Bolt Buddies but they're pretty costly so I'm going to check out the blue pieces that 'ncredbird' illustrated while I'm out tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM

What exactly is a comic book board? And where did you purchase them? Can they be ordered online? Thanks in advance for any info. Kitsy
Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 AM

That's the only thing I use for my fabric storage. At least for the big yardage. I love them. On the spendy side, but well worth it. The bolt buddies are also great for fastening the material.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by hutch farm View Post
Has anyone had any experience with Polar Notions? It's a fabric storage system that has sheets of plastic that you can wrap your fabric around.
Thanks!
Yes, I heard about polar notions. It is durable and made with solid acid free plastic. It provide The 11 3/4" height which keeps stored many stuffs easily and You getting surprised to hear that it will be wrap and unwrap at least 400 times in a single day. The fabric will keep as safe as well managed in polar notions.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 AM

They are expensive! Go to the dollar store and buy yourself a sheet of foam core board. It is 20X30 inches.
Cut once horizontally and 5 times vertically. You can get 10 boards to wrap around for the $1.00-$1.50 that you will spend and they will last you forever. I have made enough of them to do a 10 ft wall of display of fabric 5 feet high. I purchase mine at Dollar Tree and it is in the area where poster board is sold. Save the big bucks for fabric purchases. Ann in TN
Old 12-22-2012, 05:21 PM

I just finished about 1/2 of my fabric using this idea. I haven't 'worked' with it yet, but so far I LOVE it. I bought 10 of the core boards, cut them up as ncredbird suggested and they fit perfectly on the shelves of a bookcase I have in my sewing room closet. Incredibly, I'm out of core boards and have to go back and buy ten more! May have to purchase another bookcase too! I did wrap most of the boards with acid free scrapbooking paper before I put the fabric on them to protect the fabric as best I can. I think this is a wonderful idea, the fabrics look so pretty lined up straight and much easier to make selections when getting ready to start a new quilt project (can't WAIT for school to go back so I can get started again!).