Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Poly/Cotton blends >

Poly/Cotton blends

Poly/Cotton blends

Old 09-04-2014, 05:15 AM

I made two quilts for grandkids with a sheet on both sides. (Mom's choice.) That was more than 10 years ago, and those quilts spent two years on a boat in the Caribbean. They are still around and the fabric is still whole.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 AM

Thanks to everyone for your comments.... I have actually learned some things that I never thought of....so for now on when making quilts other then my scrappies, I will diffidently stick to one or the other.... won't mix the cotton and the blends...... :-)
Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 AM

I agree with you. I like the sheen of poly/cotton and the dyes seem more permanent. Blacks especially. Just like the poly/cotton threads, I think the fabrics are stronger.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I'm a big fan of the "if you like it, do it" group of quilters.
I love this! And I agree!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by tammyg View Post
Thanks to everyone for your comments.... I have actually learned some things that I never thought of....so for now on when making quilts other then my scrappies, I will diffidently stick to one or the other.... won't mix the cotton and the blends...... :-)

But I do need to add to this..... I have always mixed my fabrics, and so far have not had any problems.....other then, I have noticed the cotton has faded some.... which is no problem for me.....But I still like the poly/cotton blends better....As long as I can sew something together to make a beautiful quilt...............???? I'm good.... ;-)
Old 09-04-2014, 10:35 AM

I make a lot of memory quilts out of loved ones clothing. They are not all cotton or the same thickness of fabric. I put backing on the thinner fabrics & they turn out fantastic. I don't limit myself to just one fabric. I use just about everything in these types of quilts. Some quilts I will use all cotton or all poly/cotton blend, but not always. It is what you prefer to use. Just don't let the quilt police know. :~) All is fare in love (sew) & war (quilt).
Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
Poly cotton pills over time with washing, and it is hot.
I have some cotton-poly sheets that have been in use for years - and are getting very thin in the middle - and they are as soft and smooth as can be.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Years ago I used leftover poly blend fabrics from sewing clothes. Poly blend fabrics look very good for a long time past the looks of 100% cotton fabrics. I have some I plan to use. I make quilts now from 100% cotton because I have many, many yards of it.
You can make your quilt however you want and use whatever fabrics you want to use.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:21 PM

I like Poly/Cotton blends better then 100% cotton..... I deal with all kinds of material, and so far have not had any problems with my quilts from other materials..... I always wash n dry before using... Don't get me wrong.... I like the 100% cotton too, but it's not the only thing I use..... Anyone else out there like me? :-)
I have no problem at all working with poly-cotton blends. If I like the fabric, I'll use it. Not combined with 100% cotton, but with other poly-cotton
Old 09-04-2014, 12:37 PM

....As long as I can sew something together to make a beautiful quilt...............???? I'm good.... ;-)

I agree 100%!! Ignore the snobs!