Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portable design wall question >

Portable design wall question

Portable design wall question

Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Default Portable design wall question

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could make a portable design wall to take to workshops. I know you can use the back of a plastic table cloth but does anyone have any other ideas? thanks for your help.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

A large piece of cardboard folded in the middle would stand up like a book and allow you to pin to it. They have for sale those backboards that kids get for projects but you can do the same with cardboard or foam core. I think the Dollar store carries the backboards and foam core? You could also pack blue painter's tape in case there is an area you are allowed to tape things to.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 PM

foam board with flannel sheet. flip flannel sheet over the edges if the back and hot glue. kohls has great sales on sheets. i use same but have nailed in my wall in quilt room. easy peasy!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM

office max sells white foam board in varios sizes..forgot to add that to above.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:23 AM

I have a block sized design board. DH used oak luan plywood & we glued flannel to it because I work near a fan & my pieces would blow all over the room. Couldn't set them up to sew like I needed to. I needed to keep it light & it is. I love it! of course you'd need push pins to tack to it, but my fabric holds to the flannel for my purposes.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Grammie Sharon View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on how I could make a portable design wall to take to workshops. I know you can use the back of a plastic table cloth but does anyone have any other ideas? thanks for your help.
Owens-Corning makes foam insulation sheets (4'x8') that fold up to 2' x 4'. It's about half an inch thick and weighs less than 3 pounds. You can tape it to any wall with masking/duct tape. The foam allows you to put your blocks, etc., on the wall with pins.

My daughter has had the same sheet of insulation as her design wall for over five years.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 AM

How big do you need it to be?
I have seen them on the web but they are very expensive.
You could make one that fits on an artists stand that folds up. It would need to be small.
Ive seen one that has tubes that you put togather and take apart, expensive.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 AM

I would use the tri-fold boards that kids use for projects, and simply glue some felt to it. The nice thing about the tri-folds is that the two outside panels fold inward and can protect your design should you need to transport before you finish designing.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 AM

I have a friend who uses a flannel sheet on a frame made of PVC pipe. It sets up and takes down easily, is portable and very cheap. Go down to Home Depot and buy four 8" sections of 1" PVC pipe and four 90° elbows. Dig up an old king or queen size flannel sheet, sew some casings in it, stick the pipe in the casings, put the pipe together with the elbows, and viola! a portable design wall.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the post. I think I will pick an idea for my sewing room. I have been using a queen bed