Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portrait quilt >

Portrait quilt

Portrait quilt

Old 05-31-2009, 02:47 AM

I also took this class from Marilyn and did a portrait of my father and just loved the process. The hardest part for me was all Fabric choice. I plan to make another one of my mother very soon. If you like detailed work this is for you. I am on vacation and away from home but will post a picture of Dad when I get back home. I am not sure how to do it from my laptop.
Your picture looks really nice but I would like to see a close up of it. I am sure I could learn from you picture as well.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 AM

When you sign up for the class, they give you a password to login. Usually you have the supply list prior to even signing up for the class, but you always have to get some other fabric because it may not be the right shade or color. Once you are logged in, the teacher puts out a lesson each week. You work at your own pace or at her pace. If you have any questions you can post those question on a forum to the teacher and she answers you. You can email pics to her if you are stuck and not sure what to do. Each week you get a new lesson, sometimes there is two weeks between each lesson so you can have more time to work on the project. If you don't finish the project within the class time, usually the forum stays open for her to answer any questions. You are basically working on the project at your own pace and on your own, but she is there to help even though it is through the computer. The instructions that are provided are very well written. Marilyn is a very good teacher.

I have to agree the hardest part for me was choosing the fabrics. Keepsake Quilts sells flesh color fabric, so that is what I used for her face. I would love to see pics lucky bud, when you get home from vacation and farscapegal, when you complete it. I will take a picture of it close up and attach it to this post this evening.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:22 AM

Thanks Sandi...you are a great help and I always wondered!:0)Skeat
Old 05-31-2009, 11:07 AM

I have never been brave enough to try
a portrait quilt, but I think about it often.
It would certainly be a great challenge!! :D
:D :D :D :D :D
Old 05-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I have noticed that picture before and thought is was a nice one. Now I find out it is something you made! Wow, I never would have guessed that it wasn't a picture. Very good work!

I have thought about doing one of these before, but alas, never enough time to learn all the tecniques needed to make one. I have began to collect fabrics for a landscaping one. Those can be detailed too. Well, not as much as yours, though. Am I rambling?? sorry ... I like it very much.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 PM

It was definitely out of my "box", but if I can't challenge myself once in a while, then I get bored sometimes. So, take a risk, you will be amazed. I know I was and so was my husband.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:33 PM

What a very touching gift for your husband. That has to mean so very much to him.

Now I want to check out online classes.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:43 PM

Yes, my husband really liked it. His reaction was exactly what I was hoping for. He cried. They were very close. My husband treasured his mother. His mom was a very special woman. She had 19 children. All but 2 are alive still today. My husband is number 13. It's hard to believe that any woman can have than many children, but she did. So, it was my pleasure to do that for my husband. I just wish she was alive to see it.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:49 PM

Here is a close up of my MIL's portrait quilt. It is not the best picture, but my camera batteries need charging, so this is an older picture from another camera.

My mother-in-law. What a wonderful woman.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34919[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-34919.jpe  
Old 05-31-2009, 05:50 PM

Oh that's an aweful picture. I will send a clearer one tomorrow when the batteries are charged.