Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Portrait quilt

Has anyone ever made a portrait quilt like the one behind me in my Avatar picture? That portrait quilt behind me is my mother-in-law. She passed away about 7 years ago. I made it for my husband about 3 years ago for his birthday. I would love to see pics of one that you made.

Sandi

No But that one is nice.

That's like a painting! I've only seen that style in quilt shows and museums. I can't believe how fabric can show shadows and features so well.
    Cathy

Thank you quilt4u.

I took a class from Marilyn Belford, online at www.quiltuniversity.com and she showed us how to do it. First you posterize your picture, then you enlarge to a life size, trace onto tracing paper the different shapes where the shadows are, then you find the right colors and shades to fit in that spot. Use steam a seam 2 to bond the fabric to the foundation piece, and then sew it down. Of course there are more steps, but this is the jist of the process. I think the hardest part was to find the right fabrics for the right shadows. It was a fun class.

Very nice picture of your MIL and the course sounds interesting.

sandi...do I hear a tutorial on that coming up???:0)hint-hint...Skeat

Skeat, do you mean for me to teach the technique. Oh gosh, I'm flattered but there are so many steps to this, that I don't think I could do it. The class is relatively inexpensive from www.quiltuniversity.com. I think I paid $46 for the class, for 6 weeks, or something like that. But thank you for the offer.

farscapegal
    I have one started but had to stop to do a commissioned quilt. It is ready to have the fabric pieces put on. When I get this other quilt done I will get back to it.

Sybil

Quote Originally Posted by sandiphi
    Skeat, do you mean for me to teach the technique. Oh gosh, I'm flattered but there are so many steps to this, that I don't think I could do it. The class is relatively inexpensive from www.quiltuniversity.com. I think I paid $46 for the class, for 6 weeks, or something like that. But thank you for the offer.
    how do those classes work w/something like this...do you get a supply list up front so you are ready and do you work those classes as scheduled or on your schedule??Sounds like fun! Thanks for the info..Skeat

That quilt picture looks awesome. I'm so impressed that you can do something like that with fabric.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast