Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Possible Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I looked on Craigslist for a sewing machine. I found a posting that says 'Antique Singer $35.' I just called. The owner says it does sew and describes it as a 'little portable with a round cabinet.' Does anyone know what she is referring to and if it's worth pursuing?

I can go look at it this afternoon.

Blog Entries
    Pursue it!! If it's a featherweight in the round/oval cabinet, the cabinet alone is worth $2500 or more!!

Blog Entries
    If it's a portable, I'm sure she meant round case. I didn't catch that mistake. Thank you.

I want my grandmother's machine - why? I don't know because her quilts were totally hand made. I want my mother's, too - a White from the 50s. I found it last night, but it's in the upper peninsula. They will bring it to Gaylord (Michigan) which is less than a hundred miles away. Where am I going to put two more machines?

Blog Entries
    Good Luck on the CL machine :D You will find somewhere for them :D:D:D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I looked on Craigslist for a sewing machine. I found a posting that says 'Antique Singer $35.' I just called. The owner says it does sew and describes it as a 'little portable with a round cabinet.' Does anyone know what she is referring to and if it's worth pursuing?

I can go look at it this afternoon.
    Ask them for the serial number then go to the singer serial number website and it will tell you what machine it is and when and where it was built. That is the best way to find out for sure what model of singer it is.

Thanks,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter

Blog Entries
    Well, she's here, but she's no featherweight - that little machine weighs 30 pounds. I don't have time to do any research right now. My dogs want to go for a walk in the falling snow. I'll get back to you.

Blog Entries
    I've been posting in the vintage machine thread. Billy says she is a desirable 128. I know nothing about such things, but I will learn. Her model number indicates 1952, not as old as I assumed. The pictures are in the vintage machine thread. She's not been cleaned up yet. What's her name? I won't know until I sew with her, which may not be until after Christmas. It isn't a good idea to sew without cleaning IMO.