Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Post about buying fabric???? >

Post about buying fabric????

Post about buying fabric????

Old 03-22-2013, 06:33 AM

Default Post about buying fabric????

When purchasing fabric randomly and you aren't sure what pattern, etc. you will be using to make your quilt.....How much yardage should you purchase? I am getting several 1/2 fabrics over at CT because they have a good deal on it right now....thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chambray View Post
When purchasing fabric randomly and you aren't sure what pattern, etc. you will be using to make your quilt.....How much yardage should you purchase? I am getting several 1/2 fabrics over at CT because they have a good deal on it right now....thanks
Yep, I like to get 1 yard cuts if I know I love it, or a layer cake if I'm not sure what I like from a particular line. Or if I like the whole thing.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 AM

Since I am a free form quilter I purchase no less than 2 yards up to a bolt of fabric depending on what it is. I do not use patterns as a free form quilter and just create what I see in my mind.

I love to design and create rag quilts so I seldom buy less than 5 yards of at least 6 colors to use for that. I'm not the type to stick with the traditional X mark for rag quilts since it may end up being appliqued, or into a stack five or a bargello rag quilt etc.

I especially love to do scrappy quilts as well.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 AM

Do you have any of your free form quilts posted here?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 AM

Thank you...I may change some of those halves to full yards.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:53 AM

I usually get at least a yard unless I'm shopping the remnant bin in which case I get however much is in the piece. Occasionally I will get jelly rolls or FQ bundles if they are on sale. This has been a good choice for me as now I can shop my stash first if I get an idea for a quilt or other project at odd hours of the day or night! Of course sometimes I wish I had gotten two or three yards...
Old 03-22-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chambray View Post
Do you have any of your free form quilts posted here?
Not yet. Those I have made over the last year have been given away to folks for BD's, Christmas, etc.

I think I may have posted my scrappies from 2011 here but can't remember. Would have to go look what I have posted here.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 AM

Default How Much Fabric

How much fabric does one need?

I say as much as you want and can afford.

Attached is a sampling of my stash. I have 7 rows which houses 12 each of these in each row for total of 84 drawers full of fabric and I still need to get at least 1 more row of 12 to put what is still floating around the house and that is not counting the bolts I have which is not many probably only about a dozen.

I have not bought any fabric though since last April when I went to the quilt show in Paduach.

This is kinda messy right now because I was in it this week pulling out fabrics for something I have in mind which I hope to this weekend or by next week starting.

Right now I do have a work in progress which is a rag quilt 12 inch finished blocks. I have the blocks sewn but now need to do the appliqué on it before I stitch the strips together to complete it. Got sidetracked with this project two weeks ago and hope to work on it this coming week at least get the appliqué done on it.
Attached Thumbnails fabric.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I never buy less then 3 yards. One yard never was enough when I decided to use it. I buy random fat quarters sometimes but mostly I buy the fat quarter tower to have all of them coordinate. Usually I buy backing fabric by the 15 yard bolt for $3 a yard at Marshalls Dry Goods. I buy dark and light bolts of a neutral color print. I like CT fabrics and buy a lot of their clearance fabrics. I always order the sampler of each new CT line to see it in person. Then I know which fabric I want more of in yardage. The Neutral Love fabric line is beautiful. I ordered a lot of the dark paisley print after seeing the sample. I usually buy the clearances quilt kits just for the fabric. My fabric shopping method my be excessive but it works for me.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 AM

I usually buy at least a yard, but I have been stocking up on fat quarters to do a couple of appliqué quilts. That way I can get a large variety for little money and can vary the flowers in one of the appliqué quilts. I can always use the surplus in a scrappy quilt. That's what I did in my Ohmigosh quilt and it turned out great. Some day I will post a picture (if I ever learn how).
Sue