Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Post Cards >

Post Cards

Post Cards

Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 AM

Yeserdays someone posted about quilted postcards and I hadn't heard of those, so I did a search and would like to try making a few. Just to be clear though, you quilt the top fabric to fusibe fleece then quilt, then attach cardboard and backing using satin stitch to sandwich then a fabric marker for writing, is that all there is to it?

How much postage does one of these take and do they ruin in the mail? I think my aunts would love these.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 AM

I think i would make one and take it to the post office and talk to them about the cost and how they think it will hold up in the mail. they see how thing look comeing and goning. look like it would be fun keep me post on how thing work out.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 AM

I would not use fusible fleece for the middle layer, not stiff enough. I'd use Fast2Fuse or Timtex. Here are a couple ways to make them.
http://debrichardson.com/blog/?p=232
http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...c_postcard.htm
http://www.squidoo.com/fabricpostcards
There is a 'non-machineable' fee at the PO, I believe it's 20¢, because they should be hand cancelled. Keep the embellishments low profile and non-snaggy for best results. Otherwise they go through the mail just fine. Have fun!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

there are a couple pretty good books on fabric postcards.

a number of years ago (like 7 or8) i participated in a postcard swap- what great fun!
we did 4 seasons...i have a collection of wonderful postcards that came to me through the mail...all made of fabric- they are great.

we did not use fusable fleece- we used a stiff stablizer- (not everyone did them the same- some used regular batting with a fusable web...
we used muslin on the back (there are actually pre-printed muslin post card backs on the market-they have the address lines- and a dividing line between address and message areas.

they have to be hand cancelled at the post office- can not go through the machine.
i used timtex in mine (the same stablizer used in the rims of baseball caps)
embellishments were the only area we found a problem with post office- we could not mail ones that had beads, embellishments that really (stuck up)off the surface--thread embellishing was not a problem. the ones that could not be mailed as post cards we put in an envelope and sent- but 98% of the 34 i received went through the mail as a post card...with (1) first class stamp.