Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Post your Free Motion Quilting Tips on this thread for all of us, I will make a list of them on my pages so we can have a list of them >

Post your Free Motion Quilting Tips on this thread for all of us, I will make a list of them on my pages so we can have a list of them

Post your Free Motion Quilting Tips on this thread for all of us, I will make a list of them on my pages so we can have a list of them

Old 03-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Google Goddess

Pause the quilt’s movement, but not the needle, whenever you change direction. Corners and other directional changes are where tension problems often show up. Just slow down and pause for a heartbeat before you head off in the next direction. The close stitches will relieve some of your tension difficulties.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:24 PM

Great idea, Craftybear. If you can take a class, that helps. If you can't, get a book or find some tuts on line and practice making circles. I'll even go over a new pattern I want to use on some sandwiched fabric with no thread, just to get the flow of the pattern.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Banned

Take a two minute break after about 20 minutes of FMQ. You will find that your shoulders start to tense if you FMQ too long.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Practice drawing fmq to develop muscle memory. A white board is awesome, but you can also use paper. If you are having a terrible time with a pattern and can draw one or copy one, practice tracing it over and over.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM

Keep some 12 or 14 inch squares sandwiched together and practice each time for 5 to 10 minutes before working on your project. It gets you in the flow of the movement.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 PM

I was told you have to practice, practice, practice.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:55 PM

I was having trouble with my free motion quilting, in that my stitches were to small looking. Someone suggested slowing down. I set the speed control way down and now the stitching is looking great. I' am going back now to practice some more. I also was told practice, practice, practice. Thank you to the person who informed me to slow down. I am so happy. Sew you later.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:06 PM

I just bought, with a 40% off coupon, The Fabulous Fabric Glide from my LQS. It is easier than what I have been doing with FMQ on my sewing machines. It is made by the folks at the gypsy quilter.

ali