Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Posting fabric for sale help >

Posting fabric for sale help

Posting fabric for sale help

Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM

I have decided to post some of my new and vintage fabric for sale. Wondering how does it work for recieving the money once someone buys the fabric. I just had a big blow out with PayPal as they sent the money to the wrong bank account that I don't have anymore and now it is lost in siber internet. So fustrated with the updates and changes that they made. Do any of you use money orders to pay for the fabric or have any suggestions. If you have some suggestions please let me know.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Some take checks, MO and cash. My suggestion is that you do not send the fabric til payment has been received and cleared at the bank.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

First, you will need to become a "regular" member :wink:
Some sellers accept money orders and/or checks, it is what you the seller feel more comfortable with. Many don't send until the checks clear the bank. :D:D:D
Old 12-16-2010, 02:17 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, good idea to hold on to the fabric till the money is sent and in my hand.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:42 PM

I have been buying from several on line and I send a check. Most send the material or whatever on out. I have a few who wait to let the check clear. It is what you feel good about. I want to see what you have. I am homebound and can't go out and shop.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:50 PM

I will only pay via paypal for online purchases, as do many others. Sorry about your problems, but it's still the safest way for both the buyer and seller.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM

I posted some fabrics for sale around Thanksgiving.
My suggestions:
Double check the morning you post, to be sure you have "a regular here" above your avatar when you comment on a topic. If you do not, all your time is wasted because your posting will be dumped.
State clearly which forms of payment you will take. (I got nagged about not doing paypal.) I have been sending fabric as soon as I received the check, m.o., or cash.
Edit the title line above each item as soon as you have a request for that item. Pictures can be deleted when that fabric has been shipped.
Expect some people to take a couple of weeks to get around to sending payment -- don't be afraid to remind them! (Or set a time limit.)
I found "first class" better than flat rate envelopes for up to 1 1/2 yards. Compare to save on postage.
Good luck!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Someone else just posted about Google checkout, which works very similar to PayPal. You do need to set up a Google account. The biggest problem would be that it is so much more likely that a customer will have PayPal rather than Google.

PayPal has been by far the fastest way for me to purchase items. Because the seller has payment almost instantly, I don't have to wait before the item is shipped. As a seller I would find it more difficult to keep track of payments and shipments if accepting money orders and checks, plus for checks I would really want to have the check clear before sending the package.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM
alimaui

I won't buy something from an online seller without paypal or some sort of third party.

A seller who only takes money orders would seem to have something to hide, because it offers the buyer ZERO protection if the seller is a fraud.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 PM

I don't purchase anything that I can't use Paypal for payment. There are others that I have encountered that are the same way!!!