Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pot Holders

Pot Holders

I'm a fairly new quilter though experienced sewer and many quilters in my family tree. For my next project, I will be making pot holders using various sample patchwork blocks. I want to use cotton batting. How many layers are recommended for good heat protection yet not too bulky?

I will be interested in the answers to this....everyone says to use insul-bright and a layer of batting and that is still not enough for me. I have used two layers of batting before and that is not near enough, that is why I tried the insul-brite.
    Quote Originally Posted by iCreate View Post
    I'm a fairly new quilter though experienced sewer and many quilters in my family tree. For my next project, I will be making pot holders using various sample patchwork blocks. I want to use cotton batting. How many layers are recommended for good heat protection yet not too bulky?

I use 2 layers of batting and sandwich the insulbright inbetween those. You must remember to use 100% cotton as a polyester will melt once it hits the heated object. Haven't had any problems!!! Good luck.
    There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry

I bought a batting at Hancock's that is made for using in potholders and things that go into the microwave. I don't remember the name of it but it is not to thick and is very good.

a few years ago I made an oven mit I layered all the batting and insulbrite according to directions when I was done with it OMG! I couldn't use it, was so stiff and unbendable....I have seen that batting as crafty pat mention at joanns been wanting to get some. didn't that just come out a year or two ago?

Blog Entries
    I use a layer of Insulbrite between two pieces of flannel between two pieces of the fabric I want on the outside.
    Courtesy is not optional.

Power Poster
    There is that balance between heat resistant enough and still flexible. I am still looking for the right balance.

yel
    Blog Entries
    i found some stuff i am going to try .....not sure what they call it but they put it on furniture going to california ....it is a fire shield product they say it keeps the fire from burning so fast through to the foam...i will keep you posted ....i think that is the project for being snowed in tomorrow

At least two layers. I just made some and used insulbright as one layer, then had my dgd (19) make some using two layers of cotton batting. More than 2 layers would be too bulky.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    I've used two layers of cotton, never get burned and yet, still flexible. never had a problem
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast