Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Potholder Question Please

Potholder Question Please

Hi...I am certainly no expert and can use a lot of help...just wondering...if I use one layer of Insul-brite and one layer of Warm & White in making a potholder would the cotton batting shrink and the Insul-brite not shrink...will it look lopsided or pulled in one section? One layer of Insul-brite probably won't be good I am thinking.

Also, could I quilt the top of the potholder to the batting and the Insul-brited first and then attach a back and flip it?

I don't know if I am explaining it right.

Thank you kind ladies and gentleman.

I use Insul-brite in the center and cotton batting on either side. I just layer and quilt through it all, then bind. Mine have been washed many times and although these is some shrinkage, they still look fine.

My guild has a potholder project there they collect them all year and sell them in a booth at our quilt show. The money goes to our service projects. They provide the Insulbrite and suggest this method. I make a lot of my leftovers into potholders.

Glad to have your instructions, SkyAngel, I was wondering about how to use Insul-bright in potholders, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
    I use Insul-brite in the center and cotton batting on either side. I just layer and quilt through it all, then bind. Mine have been washed many times and although these is some shrinkage, they still look fine.

My guild has a potholder project there they collect them all year and sell them in a booth at our quilt show. The money goes to our service projects. They provide the Insulbrite and suggest this method. I make a lot of my leftovers into potholders.
    I agree, mine looked fine after many washings
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

I know this isn't the answer ta your question, but I use worn out wash rags in my pot holders & hot pads.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
    Hi...I am certainly no expert and can use a lot of help...just wondering...if I use one layer of Insul-brite and one layer of Warm & White in making a potholder would the cotton batting shrink and the Insul-brite not shrink...will it look lopsided or pulled in one section? One layer of Insul-brite probably won't be good I am thinking.

Also, could I quilt the top of the potholder to the batting and the Insul-brited first and then attach a back and flip it?

I don't know if I am explaining it right.

Thank you kind ladies and gentleman.
    If I were going to use two layers, I'd put lay two Insul-Brite's wrong side to wrong side so each side of the finished pot holder had a shiny side just under the facing.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Here's a simple potholder pattern that you turn instead of binding. This could help you.
    It's a youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8